cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, how do i develop into a regular habit?

dudeinwashingto
Enthusiast

I know many of you all are passionate and dedicated people. and it comes naturally to many to take shots..

it seems i never have time...

may i please get a few suggestions on getting enthusiatic and practice taking out my camera and going out... i have a good camera - 80d...

ANY suggestions is much appreciated.

thank you for your time...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dudeinwashingto
Enthusiast

really appreciate your kind suggestions. Solid. i will try on implimenting a few. 

thanks you so much all of you again.

pl

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Michael1
Contributor
Not having time is frequently an issue with me as well. There are always something that has to be done and like most everyone else, we have to work for a living. However, what I do is to take planned photography trips to sometimes new places for a change of scenery. Also, keeping in mind that lighting is everything when it comes to taking pictures, I will take a little time during the "golden hour" of sunrises and sunsets in a place that is not far from home. The key is keeping your interest and an open mind of what you can capture or create.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I try to carry a camera everywhere I go.  I take regular walks as part of an exercise regimen.  Taking a camera along for the walk gives me reason to pause to shoot some photos, and keeps me from wearing myself out too quickly.

But, basically you have to make the time for your hobby.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

For me it was getting to combine 2 hobbies I enjoyed while making lots of new friends. Many years ago I wanted to attend a vintage race event & needed to get some panning practice so I went to a major Radio Control Fun Fly about an hour away. I had been in the hobby a long time ago so knew a bit about it but things sure have changed. Unfortunately spectators weren't allowed close to the action because of safety but after talking to one of the organizers I got better access but not up on the flight line. I shared my photos with the organizer, which got me invited back with flight line access & I've been doing it ever since all summer long. 

There are lots of local events looking for volunteers with cameras, and experience is much less of a requirement than willingness to show up & try. Pick a field you're interested in & research local events, or what about Birding, maybe some local sport like white water rafting, surfing etc. There are so many different ways to enjoy & share this hobby / (or turn it into a business) that the list is endless.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Even if you don't have your camera with you always be on the lookout for good images:

1. Especially pay attention to the light and note when it is "good" for an image.

2. Keep looking for scenes. Just today I saw a kids red plastic ride-on toy broken and abandoned on a yellow lawn. With a good composition it would make a nice image.

3. If you shoot black and white always look for good textures. I once saw a metal bench in the snow. It was one of those benches with a diamond pattern of holes. The snow had melted into the holes leaving a white criss-cross pattern of snow.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I'll offer three suggestions:

1 - schedule some time for a regular activitiy

I work full-time, and sometimes my weekends are busy.  But when schedule allows, there's a few local places that I like to go shooting.  

2 - join a photography club

Be careful here because there can be a lot of variety from club to club (not every club does the same types of things).  I have found that clubs that don't do much in the way of social activies involving taking pictures but are very big into monthly meetings that always have photo contests.   For me personally... that's the opposite of what I'd want.  I wouldn't care about contests and would MOSTLY care about the excsue to get out shooting and having a club where people come with ideas of places to go shoot each month.  So you'd probably want to find out how the club works to find a club that will give you excuses to get out regularly to some nice shooting locations.

3 - find photo activities on MeetUp.com

If you're not familiar with MeetUp, the site is just a place for people to post events that are happening.  I only know about it because a couple of astronomy clubs in my area use it and it seems to actually be pretty popular and successful.  

The idea is that an event organizer will create a MeetUp group and post events (activiites for the group).

Attendees don't pay anything to join or search MeetUp.  That part is free.  But since organizers do have to pay, you'll find that some events are (a) completely free, or (b) a donation of a couple of dollars might be suggested to help the organizers pay for their own MeetUp fees (my astronomy club has to pay $80 for a 6-month membership and this allows us to post as many events as we want), or (c) some events do require that you pay to attend.

I've been using MeetUp for about a year.  I've noticed that some people use it as a money-maker (e.g. advertise a "how to use your camera" workshop -- often themed).  Some charge to cover expenses (I recently saw someone post a macro photography workshop, but the workshop was held a hotel conference center so they had to pay to use the room.  The fee for attending was really to cover the costs of hosting the event.)    But I've also seen people or companies host events which are completely free.  A camera store in my area seems to have a monthly "scavenger hunt" meetup which is completely free... you show up and they give you a list of things to try to locate and photograph around town... and they send people out in groups of 4-6 photographers each.  So that's mostly a social event.  They seem to pick a location and time (typically a restaurant or bar) for everyone to reconvene to share what they found.

So there are a few opitons that might help you find some semi-regular excuses to get out shooting.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

dudeinwashingto
Enthusiast

really appreciate your kind suggestions. Solid. i will try on implimenting a few. 

thanks you so much all of you again.

pl

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements