cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gripe of the day

tinwhistle
Enthusiast

OK, so it's nothing new, we've all had it happen. You get all settled into the perfect spot for the fireworks display and along comes this guy and sets up right in front of you nIMGL3782.jpgot 5 feet away!! 

10 REPLIES 10

diverhank
Authority

Bummer. I got that all the time at airshows too...and they don't care even after I complained to them.  Since I don't believe in violence...not much I could do...

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Hank I was just about to say the same thing. I arrive early & pick my place at the fence & as soon as the flying starts several people push right in front of me. At last Thursday's show I wedged my fold up chair in between the others but back so it blocked anyone from just walking up pushing me aside. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@diverhank wrote:

Bummer. I got that all the time at airshows too...and they don't care even after I complained to them.  Since I don't believe in violence...not much I could do...

Console yourself with the memory of that wedding video that was posted a few years ago. As the bride and groom strode up the aisle at the end of the ceremony, a still photographer hogged the scene by walking backwards in front of them, totally blocking the view of the videographer stationed at the rear of the church. What the SP had forgotten was that the aisle ended at a baptismal font with a very low rim around it. As the videographer continued to film, the SP tripped on the rim and fell backwards into the pool, soaking both himself and his equipment.

Alas, for whatever reason, the videographer left his footage online for only a couple of days, although some say it can still be found if one looks hard enough.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

B from B,

I haven't seen that one but I do know of some not-so-nice happenings at weddings.  All the ones I have done I set it straight before any other considerations that I am the 'primary' photographer.  I explain to the bride and groom to convey that.  I am the photographer they are hiring and paying for the job.  No flashes, no interference.  I don't mind if other people want to shoot.  Video, iphones, ipads, Rebels, etc or whatever. I even get out of their way. But, they wait until I am done, first, before they chime in.

As I was getting close to retirement, video was getting much more popular.  If the couple told me before hand that the video was the main most important thing, I made sure I was out of the way.  You work with what you have and you bring gear that will work with what you have.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

B from B,

I haven't seen that one but I do know of some not-so-nice happenings at weddings.  All the ones I have done I set it straight before any other considerations that I am the 'primary' photographer.  I explain to the bride and groom to convey that.  I am the photographer they are hiring and paying for the job.  No flashes, no interference.  I don't mind if other people want to shoot.  Video, iphones, ipads, Rebels, etc or whatever. I even get out of their way. But, they wait until I am done, first, before they chime in.

As I was getting close to retirement, video was getting much more popular.  If the couple told me before hand that the video was the main most important thing, I made sure I was out of the way.  You work with what you have and you bring gear that will work with what you have.

It's insulting to the bride and groom to interfere with the photographer they've hired to cover the wedding. (Actually, that applies to the sponsors and official photographer at any event.) At the few weddings I've photographed as a friend or family member, I've always tried to keep that principle in mind.

It's disheartening, though, to realize how easy it is to interfere. At most of the events that I cover that require a group picture at the end, I have to accept that no matter how many shots I take, a few of the participants will be looking at their relatives with the iPhones instead of at me.

Bob

Bob from Boston, Massachusetts,

That is why it must be made clear from the beginning.  I have told them if you want uncle Bob to shoot your wedding you don't need me.  If you are paying me to shoot your once in a life time event, than I need to be left to do my work.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston, Massachusetts,

That is why it must be made clear from the beginning.  I have told them if you want uncle Bob to shoot your wedding you don't need me.  If you are paying me to shoot your once in a life time event, than I need to be left to do my work.

The problem is that making it clear to the B&G doesn't make it clear to the guests. I suppose that protocol suggests that the Best Man and ushers should be the enforcers in such cases, but few are up to the task. And the awkwardness resulting from an enforcement attempt could have far reaching consequences. The bottom line is that anyone who carries a camera at a wedding should have the innate courtesy to let the official photographer do his job.

Bob

B from B,

Over the years I have seen everything.  Well until I see something new which does still happen. Not as often!  And, anything can and does happen for sure.

I have seen it put on the invitations.  I have seen announcements before the ceremony.  I have seen the priest tell it.  And if all else fails, I am not above explaining it !

EB

Which is why I no longer do weddings, all of the above. Two weeks, or so, ago, I did do a baptism (built in family reunion), that was also outside. Disaster written all over it!! However, I made the matriarch aware of what I needed from her, and when, and she did a wonderful job of keeping the lid on the whole thing. I even told her that when it came time for the whole family portrait I didn't want to see a phone or any other device 'til I was done. She saw to it. Wonderful lady. Wonderful shoot!

Announcements