cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going Back to School

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

OK... I'm retired and bored, but I know the importance of keeping one active in mind and body.  So I do exercise every day and I hike a lot, so that side is sorted.  But finding a stimulus for the brain has been a bit challenging.  Despite three degrees and a lot of expertise it's pretty much impossible to even get an interview for a job of any value (I am leaving aside flipping burgers), Smiley Frustrated and I looked at volunteering but discovered that almost universally (and probably not unreasonably) organizations want one to commit to specific hours and at specific times - not an easy thing to do as I support my terminally ill partner.

So I went back to basics and decided to do something I have never actually done in a formal way: get a qualification as a photographer.  Don't get me wrong, I was self-taught and learned from the experience of others back in the 1980's, and worked in the field for years - so I feel that I have and adequate knowledge.  Still, it nagged at me and so I went in search of a credible institution where I could study part-time and remotely, had an official accreditation for the provider and the qualification, and would not break the bank.   This was somewhat complicated by the fact I live in New Zealand.  Still, I have found a good solution in an academic institution, The Southland Institute of Technology, located at the far end of NZ from me but able to let me do remote study.  It's got a Zero Fees policy for NZ citizens and residents (subsidized by the government) - so there are no fees to study, but an enrollment fee and resource fees that come down to about $100/unit, of which one requires 8 to complete the diploma, one which is recogized by the NZ Qualifications Authority (a government agency controlling accreditation) and is well-regarded by the profession in NZ and Australia - not that I am likely to get work - see the comments above! Smiley Frustrated

I am writing this because they offer course access to overseas students as well, although the zero fees do not apply - but the Kiwi dollar is low: about 2 to the UK Pound and about 65c US, so it could well be a viable solution for others looking for a similar solution.   I quite often see people who seek a learning path, and not all may be in a position to afford some of their local fees, so something like this might be worth considering.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
6 REPLIES 6

Good luck!! I hope you find it rewarding and enjoyable.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Good luck!! I hope you find it rewarding and enjoyable.

Thank you! Smiley Happy  It should provide both stimulus and a nice distraction.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

As an aside, my partner, who is an academic, has got me a place to audit a university course on the history of photography - this is the first one run by Auckland University and the initial semester covers the general history of the subject, and next year there is one on the history of photography in India.  I found a book on the subject and what I had not connected was that photography developed with the British Indian Empire, so there is a very interesting interaction between cultures and technology.  The course goes right back to the earliest photos in India and comes right up to the present day - a very interesting journey from a social anthrological perspective - and some amazing images.

cheers, TREVOR

Congratulations and enjoy your course of study.  I retired from a university three years ago after 27 years in the field and I didn't realize how much I enjoyed that environment until my high school sophomore daughter was invited to a math modeling conference there and the center director asked if I would show up a few times to do photography.  Although I am happy to be retired, it was very nice spending a few days back in the environment and it reminded me of a lot of the good parts of it.

And even for those with a lot of subject knowledge and experience like yourself, it is always useful to be exposed to differenent ways of looking at and doing things which I am certain you will experience in your new courses 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

Congratulations and enjoy your course of study.  I retired from a university three years ago after 27 years in the field and I didn't realize how much I enjoyed that environment until my high school sophomore daughter was invited to a math modeling conference there and the center director asked if I would show up a few times to do photography.  Although I am happy to be retired, it was very nice spending a few days back in the environment and it reminded me of a lot of the good parts of it.

And even for those with a lot of subject knowledge and experience like yourself, it is always useful to be exposed to differenent ways of looking at and doing things which I am certain you will experience in your new courses 🙂

Rodger

Hi Rodger:

I know what you mean about being with young minds.  I have been supporting my partner, who is determined to keep working until she finds it impossible - she works about 50%FTE as the Director of a new degree in Global Studies, and I often go with her as both chaffeur, go-fer and do photography to support their events.  It is such a delight to be in the company of some many young, active and inspiring students.  I think that experience was part of the trigger for me to return to study again.  My only regret is that I will not be studying at the institution, so I will miss that stimulus.

cheers, TREVOR

Put the pedal to the metal, Trevor.  Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements