cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Tripod/Monopod/Tripod Head Discussion

AndyMilnePhotog
Enthusiast

Feel free to discuss anything tripod, monopod, & tripod head stuff. 

No third-party links please. Thanks!

Anyways, I have a few questions. Does anybody prefer flip-locks or twist-locks on their tripod legs? I want to know which is easier to set up, how to maintain them, etc.

Are there any important differences between aluminum & carbon fiber legs besides weight? 

Cheers!

Andrew
Nature Photography Hobbyist / Enthusiast
Canon EOS Rebel T6i
18 REPLIES 18

I really learned a lot more about tripods than I had to begin with. So thanks again for the information and assistance.
Andrew
Canon EOS Rebel T6i

@TCampbell wrote:

To me, tripods are all about stability.  You can get tripods with very thin legs ... they're very light (which is good) but they're also a bit more "springy" so not as stable.  But this is true in both aluminum and carbon fiber version.

I agree. I still use an inexpensive (about $100) Vanguard Veo 235AB, which has served me well. It is aluminum, light and compact, with a ball head. Nothing fancy but I was not going to spend $1000 on a tripod. The 235AB also features the lever-lock style of legs. Very easy and I can adjust the tension if need be. My major requiurements was that it be affordable, light and compact. It is all of that.

Tim, I have had this thing out in the Mojave facing desert winds and it has proven adequate. I have boulder hopped with it in JT around the Wonderland of Rocks areas and The Maze, and I don't have to worry about it if it slaps against the sides of boulders. Some scratches give it character LOL. I've shot with it during Santa Anas and I've not had an issue. When guys start talking about fiber this and gimbal that, I always ask where they shoot. And not a one of them has shot in the conditions or in similar geography where I shoot. So I don't care about fiber. For me, a ball-camera leveler. which I don't yet have, is more desirable than fiber. YMMV. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Make sure any ball head you buy has friction control knob. Benro makes very good heads, but I do not think the 1B1 head has a friction control.

If you are in the US, then I suggest waiting for a B&H daily special on Benro kit. They usually sell at deep discounts.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I checked the B&H website description and the IB1 ball head does a friction control knob on it. I'll probably wait around the holidays. Thanks Waddizzle for helping me on a tripod.
Andrew
Canon EOS Rebel T6i

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Take a look at the Benro tripods on sale at B&H for their daily special. That is what I have been talking about.

Not the type you are looking for, I know. But, wait it out because something that is and within your budget will pop up soon.

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star
Best thing to a closest all around tripod I have found is the Manfrotto 190
Specially because I dislike ball head, still prefer pan/tilt, just me... But I love the 90 degree option that allows the ability to invert and get higher angle shots

@Mitsubishiman wrote:
Specially because I dislike ball head, still prefer pan/tilt, just me... But I love the 90 degree option that allows the ability to invert and get higher angle shots

I was talking to Manfrotto a while back ... the 190 and the 055 series are their most popular (apparently by far).  The 055 is a bit beefier series than the 190 series.  I own an 057 series which is even beefier still (it's one of their largest & strongest tripods).

I own three tripods (well... three serious tripods anyway... I have a few junk-grade things as well).  One is exceptionally light and it's great for travel (it easily fits in any suitcase) and is also great to carry on long hikes (I really don't notice the weight).  BUT... it's not nearly as solid.  So I have to protect it from vibrations when I use it.  

My 057 is basically the opposite... it's rock solid but noticeably heavier and you probably wouldn't want to carry it on a long hike.  But for most of what I do ... I'm not going to need to carry the tripod very far.  That means the weight doesn't really bother me (I can carry a tripod 100 yards without complaining about it) and I love the stability of a really SOLID tripod.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@Mitsubishiman wrote:

I like both.  They each have their uses.  I did not like my first ball head.  I bought a good one, Benro B3, which had a friction adjustment, and fell in love with it.  

I have also fallen in love with a Kirk MPA-2 tilt head on my monopod.  It has strong friction control, too.  I can tilt a 7D2, w/grip and a Sigma 150-600mm C, and it stays put.  I no longer need to tilt the entire rig to change shooting angle, and my horizon stays more level.

I have a couple of Benro tripods and heads.  I do like their gear.  The "B" (ball head) series comes in numbers ... "3" being a pretty beefy ball head (they have a "B2", "B1", "B0", and even a "B00" size ... the "00" is pretty tiny).

But ultimately I do like that the tripods let you swap heads.  I have three nice tripods, but several different heads including ball heads, pan-tilt (video) heads, and a gimbal head (awesome for action photography because you can set the center-of-mass so that it's "neutral" and swing the camera around to follow action without having to ever snug down the axes.  A friend of mine uses this for air-shows.)

One of my own pet features is the ability to spread the tripod legs and drop the camera height to just a few inches above the ground.  But a center column gets in the way of that.  One of my tripods has a swappable center column (you can swap the standard column for a short post).  The other (my Manfrotto 057 series) lets you completely remove the center column and attach the head-plate directly to the leg assembly.  With no center-post to stop me from getting low to the ground, I can drop the camera height to just a few inches above ground level.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements