cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Tripod/Monopod/Tripod Head Discussion

AndyMilnePhotog
Enthusiast

Feel free to discuss anything tripod, monopod, & tripod head stuff. 

No third-party links please. Thanks!

Anyways, I have a few questions. Does anybody prefer flip-locks or twist-locks on their tripod legs? I want to know which is easier to set up, how to maintain them, etc.

Are there any important differences between aluminum & carbon fiber legs besides weight? 

Cheers!

Andrew
Nature Photography Hobbyist / Enthusiast
Canon EOS Rebel T6i
18 REPLIES 18

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Does anybody prefer flip-locks or twist-locks on their tripod legs?"

I don't like twist lok legs.  I don't think any pro tripod has them.  Any strong tripod/monopod will do the trick.  Pick the one you like. My main tripod is the Manfrotto 3046 Pro Tripod with Mid-level Spreader and the Manfrotto 501HDV Pro Video Fluid Head.

I am not sure if it is still being made and it is not cheap at nearly a grand. I am sure they have a similar one though. My carry around tripod is the MT055XPR Aluminum Tripod with various heads and gimbals.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I have used both types, and have no hard preference for either style, but apparently I seem to use mainly twist locks.  Locking style was not a factor that contributed to my tripod selections, not at all.  

I have a few tripods, ranging from Hi-Hat to jumbo video.  All of them have twist locks, except for one photo tripod, which lacks a center column and has flips.  This is my “B” tripod, BTW.  I find tripods without a center column are MUCH more stable than those with one.  While they may have a bigger footprint, I think the added stability is worth whatever inconvenience a wider stance may present.

I do want to point out that the twist locks are easier to disassemble and clean.  Tripod legs do get dusty and dirty, and need periodic cleaning  One of the top brands is Really Right Stuff, and nearly all of their models use water resistant twist locks.  In fact, nearly all of the top brands, including Manfrotto, use twist locks on their top-of-line models.

Also the twist locks can create friction, while the flip locks totally loosen the leg.  This can present problems with heavier loads, or when you are trying to get a fine adjustment when you are leveling the legs.  Flips also tend to create more noise compared to twists.

However, I do like flips because of they are much quicker to adjust compared to twists.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have a range of tripods: some are flip clamp locks and some twist.  My most recent aquisitions are from a company called MiFoto 2 x Carbon Road tripods tall units with the ability to remove one leg to form a monopod.  There is a smaller, lighter unit the M-25, also from MiFoto.   I have a couple of really heavy units, but they are rarely used.

In reality the tripods are rarely used as I usually shoot hand-held.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I own several tripods and monopods and have versions with both styles.  I prefer the lever locks.  You will just occasionally need to tune the tension on the lever locks ... but once they're set, extending and adjust leg heights is a very quick operation.  

I have noticed the twist locks seem to be diminishing in popularity.  I've also noticed some brands that used to make aluminum or carbon fiber are just doing carbon fiber only.

To me, tripods are all about stability.  You can get tripods with very thin legs ... they're very light (which is good) but they're also a bit more "springy" so not as stable.  But this is true in both aluminum and carbon fiber version. Many tripods have a hook on the bottom of the center column and you can hang some weight (e.g. such as your camera bag) to help stabilize the tripod.  

Another consideration are if the legs can spread wide AND if the tripod either offers a removable center column or an optional “short” center column so that you can get the tripod low to the ground.  One of my tripods has an optional short center column accessory... the other has a removable center column.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hey Wadizzle, 

I made a (possibly) final decision on which tripod to buy.

You mention to me on an earlier thread/topic that the Benro Adventure tripod lineup is the one that I should get.

I am considering the adventure 1 series aluminum w/ the IB1 Ball head w/ separate purchase of the ASC1 (short column) worth $210 as my first tripod for the following reasons:

1. Legs separate from the head are carry-on compatible with domestic AND international flights/airlines. 

2. 17.6 LBS Load Rating (Legs and head). You recommended at least 15 LBS.

3. Light enough to carry with me on nature walks and/or backpacking, but weighty enough to be sturdy and sufficiently hold my camera (T6i). Tripod/Head combo weighs 4 LBS.

4. Bubble level on tripod and head for straight horizons and panorama shots. 

5. Intend to use it for macro and landscape shots hence the short column for low angle perspectives.

6. Reasonable Price (Not cheap but out of my budget either at roughly $225-$250)

Andrew
Canon EOS Rebel T6i

Andy,

I have four tripods.  They are something that needs to fit the need.  Unfortunately one size does not fit all.

I really like my Manfrotto MT190XPRO4 Aluminum Tripod.  You may want to check one out. I think they are around two bills.  Along with the X-PRO 3-Way tripod head is the one I take to weddings and events, etc. I also have a gimbal head for it. Gimbals are expensive but nothing works as well as they do for telephoto lens work.

I have never used the Benro perhaps they are as good.

I prefer round legs with flip locks. I don't like twist locks.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Andy,

I have four tripods.  They are something that needs to fit the need.  Unfortunately one size does not fit all.

I really like my Manfrotto MT190XPRO4 Aluminum Tripod.  You may want to check one out. I have never used the Benro perhaps they are as good.

The Manfrotto legs you mentioned are definitely very good and carry-on compatible at 19.3 inches. Although, I prefer the ergonomics of the Benro Adventure series for their angle locks, ball heads, & a shorter center column. The closest one to the MT190xpro4 is the Benro Adventure 2 series, but I don't know that one is carry-on compatible at 20.7 inches assuming a US carry-on bag is 22 x 14 x 9. 

What I'll probably do is try out each one for the following factors:

1. Sturdiness/Flex of the legs

2. How well does it fit in a US and/or international carry-on bag

3. How long or far will I plan to carry it around on trips, hikes, etc.

In fairness, buying a tripod is never easy and will always involve compromises/sacrifices.  

Andrew
Canon EOS Rebel T6i

Andy,

Food for thought.  How do you plan to use the tripod?

Most of the people who replied on this thread own multiple tripods, just as they own multiple lenses for different shooting scenarios. I am getting the impression that you are looking for a universal tripod.  I own multiple tripods partly because I have more than one camera, but mainly because my different tripods have different uses.

BTW, the Mefoto, Benro, and Induro brands are all made by the same manufacturer.  The Mefoto brand is aimed at consumers.  Benro is more aimed at prosumer photographers.  Induro tripods are mostly professional grade now.  I might be mistaken, but I think the 3 Legged Thing brand is part of the same family of brands, too, and is mostly aimed at point and shoot users.

————————————————————

Using a tripod taught me a lot about photography because it allowed me to take time to THINK about what I was doing.  As I became more experienced with my camera bodies, I use the tripods less and less.  But, I will almost always have one in the back of the SUV when I go out on a photo adventure somewhere.

I have a lightweight, carbon fiber Benro TMA18CV1 Mach 3 tripod kit that is good for travel.  I got it on a B&H daily special for 50% off regular list price  It has fthree leg sections, so it does not fold down to a very compact size.  I have an Induro aluminum tripod with four leg sections that can fold down to 18 inches.. I use them when I expect to be carrying a tripod on foot for extended periods, which really isn’t very often. The aluminum one lives in the SUV.  They only get used when I have not packed a bigger one.  Either will vibrate in a moderate breeze.

When I travel by auto to a spot for landscape shots, I take a more robust Benro Combination Series 3 tripod and head combo, which can handle upwards of 35 pounds.  This is my favorite.  It has a flat plate, instead of a center column, which is an option.  I liked it so much that I had to buy second one while they were on closeout clearance.  

One has a Benro B3 ball head with a leveling base.  The other is actually the Induro version of the legs, with a 75mm bowl.  It has an Induro PH3 5-way pan/tilt head mounted on a bowl adapter.  I will take one or the other with me when I know I won’t have to walk very far on foot.  This does not mean that I will use it, and most of the time I don’t.

I also have a very heavy duty Induro 100mm video tripod fitted with a Manfrotto 502 flat base video head, with a 100mm bowl adapter.  The legs can support 70+ pounds.  It is a heavy rig with a wide footprint, but it is extremely stable.  The tripod bag is 36 inches long, which allows room for a fluid video head to remain mounted.  It is used primarily for shooting video with a C100 cinema camera.  It also gets some use for long exposure shots of the night sky with the Induro PH3 5-way pan/tilt head and a 75mm bowl adapter.  I also have an Induro hi-hat tripod with a 75mm bowl for video use.

—————————————————————

I think you will enjoy your Benro tripod.  I would get a stronger head than the IB1, though.  Just a camera rig is not better than the lens.  A tripod rig is no better than the head you pair it with.  I would suggest the Benro B2 or B3.  These are excellent ball heads that do not have any backlash, except with very heavy, off-center loads using a super telephoto lens.  Think pointing at the Moon.  Backlash means the head will shift slightly as you tighten it down.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Food for thought.  How do you plan to use the tripod? 

I will use the tripod at eye-level (I am 6'00 tall) for long exposure, landscape, and macro photography where getting low to the ground is crucial. Lens is probably up to a 100-400mm L IS II. I also want to take it with me on an airplane so the tripod legs being carry-on compatible at under 21" is paramount to me.

Most of the people who replied on this thread own multiple tripods, just as they own multiple lenses for different shooting scenarios.

Great input Waddizzle, I will probably start out with a heavier alumnium platform + ball head at 5 pounds rather than a flimsy aluminum travel tripod which is more prone to vibration & camera shake anyway. In addition, I will find travel CF legs perhaps used or at a discount/clearance sale like you mentioned. That way, I can configure to one or the other depending how far I have to hike/backpack.    

Using a tripod taught me a lot about photography because it allowed me to take time to THINK about what I was doing.

Definitely. Tripods allow you take the time to set your shot and figure out the best compsitions in each scene & lighting scenario.

Andrew
Canon EOS Rebel T6i
Announcements