sslukovenkov
Contributor

Hello!

What is GP-E2 USB to PC cable?

Thanks!

SSL
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes.

Map Utility has been deprecated because of some licensing issues with the mapping portion. The replacement is GPS Log File Utility.

Annotation 2020-07-24 112503.jpg 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum. 

Yes, the manual is unclear on that.  

Just use the same cable that came with the camera for connecting to computer. It's a USB-A to Mini-USB cable. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks John,

I have EOS RP. This model has USB-C which I love. 

I got GPS-E2 with two cables for other cameras connectivity. Long and short, but both has the same socket for pluging in to GPS unit and probably other camera models. 

I am looking for a cable which can connect GPS unit ( quite rare socket) and any P/Mac with regular USB female port.

Best regards,

Sergei

SSL

If your computer has a USB-A connection you want the cable I described above. 

The GPS has a connection port that accepts both the GPS to camera cable and a camera to computer connection cable. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Why do you want to connect it to a PC? I see no mention of that in the manual. I believe the logs are stored on the SD card in the camera.

One reason was to update for latest firmware. 

I do not think GP-E2 stores logs in the camera memory card. The logs are stored at the GPS unit. That is why it can be used as a stand alone tracker, syncing and adding logs to camera after. 

connecting to PC would allow save logs on computer and port those into various mapping apps, such as Google Earth.

SSL

Yes.

Map Utility has been deprecated because of some licensing issues with the mapping portion. The replacement is GPS Log File Utility.

Annotation 2020-07-24 112503.jpg 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

My MacBook pro does not recognize my GPS receiver so 
I can't update the firmware with the GPS Log File Utility. Says no GPS connected. I have the GPS to USB-C cable.

Does anything connect to the MacBook with that cable?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

No, however the Mini USB Cable USB 2.0 Type A to Mini B Cable works fine for connecting the GP-E2 to the MacBook pro.

Announcements