cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G10 vs Canon 1000d

elektrokalle
Apprentice

Hello.

I assume you guys, can give me a better understanding then I can myself.

I have been offered the Canon 1000d and Canon Powershot G10 for about 200dollars each.

The Canon 1000d has ef-s 18-55mm, 1:3.5-5.6.

Is it stupid to buy such an old camera? Or is it a good price, and a camera I will be happy with for a long time?

Your Sincerly Kalle.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

artjewel
Contributor

Hi,

The G10 has excellent image quality and has a "Raw" setting. It's a "Pro" camera with great ergonomics. If it's in good condition, $200 is a bargin. I have several digital SLR's and it's true that they have the advantage of interchangeable lenses, but for those times when you don't want to carry a big camera, you won't be disappointed with the G10. It doesn't have any noticeable shutter lag, at least in single shot mode. If you need to shoot a lot of action and use the zoom often, it might slow you down because the zoom is controlled electronically rather than manually. Other than that, it's a wonderful camera. When I first used it, I was very surprised by the image quality. For the price, you might want to get both cameras. They each have advantages.

Bill

View solution in original post

Hi,

You need to do a little research on both cameras for yourself in order to make an educated decision. I would recommend going to www.dpreview.com and reading their detailed reviews of both cameras. That being said, I will give you my opinion as to which camera I would purchase. The Fuji X10 is a newer camera than the Canon G10. All cameras in this class came about because of the Canon Powershot G series of cameras. So far as image quality goes for the same sensor size, I don't believe you will beat the Canon. Canon manufactures and develops their own image sensors. Having owned and used cameras from several different manufacturers, I have not found one that is better than, and often, not even close to the Canon as regards image quality. Nikon and Pentax, and of course, Sony, come to mind as being close or equal to the Canon sensor. All of these three cameras have imaging sensors manufactured by Sony. It is a very good sensor of exceptional quality, not better than, but as good as or close to the Canon sensor. I don't think the Fuji sensor can compete with the Canon in regards to image quality. So to answer your question regarding the Canon G10 vs. the Fuji X10, I would choose the Canon. That being said, I would still do more research regarding the Fuji. I have not used the camera and I haven't seen any of the files from the camera- I only know about it from the little I've read online. I am also basing my opinion on my past experience with various other cameras. Often, I am disappointed by them when compared to the Canon. The one exception is the Pentax K5 digital SLR. It has superb image quality and excellent features and size, at a price point that is hard to beat. But this is a digital SLR, not a "point and shoot" like the Canon G10 and Fuji X10.

Anyway, I hope I haven't confused you. Please do check out dpreview.com and other resources before making a decision. Nevertheless, I don't think you'd go wrong with either camera.

Bill

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

cicopo
Elite

It really depends on what you intend to use it for. The G10 is more compact but the 1000D is a better camera in some important ways. BOTH can produce excellent photos but the 1000D (or Rebel XS) can use other lenses & won't have shutter lag like the G10. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

artjewel
Contributor

Hi,

The G10 has excellent image quality and has a "Raw" setting. It's a "Pro" camera with great ergonomics. If it's in good condition, $200 is a bargin. I have several digital SLR's and it's true that they have the advantage of interchangeable lenses, but for those times when you don't want to carry a big camera, you won't be disappointed with the G10. It doesn't have any noticeable shutter lag, at least in single shot mode. If you need to shoot a lot of action and use the zoom often, it might slow you down because the zoom is controlled electronically rather than manually. Other than that, it's a wonderful camera. When I first used it, I was very surprised by the image quality. For the price, you might want to get both cameras. They each have advantages.

Bill

Hey. Thanks to you both.
I know this is not a fuji forum, but maybe you guys know about the Fuji X10 camera? I have also got an offer about that camera, and heard it were a very nice Camera.

If I should pick between the Fuji x10 and Canon G10, should I still take the Canon G10?

Your sincerly.

Hi,

You need to do a little research on both cameras for yourself in order to make an educated decision. I would recommend going to www.dpreview.com and reading their detailed reviews of both cameras. That being said, I will give you my opinion as to which camera I would purchase. The Fuji X10 is a newer camera than the Canon G10. All cameras in this class came about because of the Canon Powershot G series of cameras. So far as image quality goes for the same sensor size, I don't believe you will beat the Canon. Canon manufactures and develops their own image sensors. Having owned and used cameras from several different manufacturers, I have not found one that is better than, and often, not even close to the Canon as regards image quality. Nikon and Pentax, and of course, Sony, come to mind as being close or equal to the Canon sensor. All of these three cameras have imaging sensors manufactured by Sony. It is a very good sensor of exceptional quality, not better than, but as good as or close to the Canon sensor. I don't think the Fuji sensor can compete with the Canon in regards to image quality. So to answer your question regarding the Canon G10 vs. the Fuji X10, I would choose the Canon. That being said, I would still do more research regarding the Fuji. I have not used the camera and I haven't seen any of the files from the camera- I only know about it from the little I've read online. I am also basing my opinion on my past experience with various other cameras. Often, I am disappointed by them when compared to the Canon. The one exception is the Pentax K5 digital SLR. It has superb image quality and excellent features and size, at a price point that is hard to beat. But this is a digital SLR, not a "point and shoot" like the Canon G10 and Fuji X10.

Anyway, I hope I haven't confused you. Please do check out dpreview.com and other resources before making a decision. Nevertheless, I don't think you'd go wrong with either camera.

Bill

Announcements