cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrated with Flair in club

ilzho
Rising Star

I was in a club shooting a band and I came across a lot fo flair in my pictures.

I blame myself, for not bringing my lens hood and my other lens. Not sure if that would have made a difference.

Lighted beer signs all over the place made it challenging, at least for me.

You can see it on the brim of his hat.

I'm not happy with my pictures either.

Just not in focus, very grainy etc....

Maybe time to factory reset my settings, ugh....

I guess I can chalk it up to a bad night of shooting.

Sorry, I just had to vent.....

383A6437-4.jpg

7 REPLIES 7

ScottyP
Authority

Personally I actually like a little lens flare in a stage performance shot.  Kind of reminds me of all the classic photos of singers and stand up comics in smoky venues under stage lights taken back in the '60's and '70's before all the fancy anti-flare coatings existed.  Kind of sets a mood or something, at least in my mind.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Shooting with multiple light sources can be difficult, somewhat tricky, or near impossible to get "right".  I have found that a CPL filter can help minimize some of the "ambient light noise" in crowded environments. 

Many of today's light sources are generated by solid state electronics.  The light from solid state devices and sources is highly polarized.  A CPL filter can reduce it, and in some cases eliminate it entirely.  For example, put a CPL filter on your camera, point it at flat screen LED television, and rotating the filter.  You can completely blank the screen.

In a club, you are likely going to have mulitple sources of polarized light.  Every scenario is going to be different, but a CPL filter may help make a difference.

[EDIT]  And, sometimes the lens flare is caused by the fitler itself, reflecting light between itself and lens elements.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks everbody:

I had my UV filter on, always have it on my lens just for protection, not sure if that attributed to anything, but it's good to know.

@ilzho wrote:

Thanks everbody:

I had my UV filter on, always have it on my lens just for protection, not sure if that attributed to anything, but it's good to know.

BTW, I agree with Scotty.  In fact, I think the B&W treatment compliments it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I agree, I do like to leave grain in my B/W photos....

"Getting rid of the UV filter and adding a lens hood would have made a big difference."

I agree.  Remember filters unscrew just as easily as the screw on.  When there is no need remove it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ilzho wrote:

Thanks everbody:

Getting rid of the UV filter and adding a lens hood would have made a big difference. 

Announcements