11-14-2012 06:05 PM
- Automatic AF micro-adjust
- Exposure times greater than 30 seconds without B
- Arbitrary many custom modes (C1, C2, ...) selectable via either of the wheels instead of only three
- Exposure compensation in M with Auto-ISO
- Very much more possibilities to choose the limits and biases for exposure time, aperture and iso in M/Av/Tv/P modes.
- Accept that ISO should be the third first-class exposure parameter like exposure time and aperture, e.g. so it should be possible to have a mode with ISO on one and aperture on the other wheel.
- Choice of automatically linking mirror-lockup to 2sec self-timer mode like some Pentax can do
- Focus distance in EXIF data (at least when using AF)
- Possibility to retro-actively change the picture style of a RAW that changes the preview JPEG so that I can e.g. review an image in color even when the picture style at time of shooting was black-and-white
- Have the blinking that shows over-exposed areas change color depending on which color channels are saturated
- More flexibility regarding frame-rates and resolutions in video mode, e.g. why does the 5D mark II only do 1080p but not 720p?
There is so much more that could be done, but as the anachronistic "custom function" designation show, even digital SLRs are still firmly rooted in the pre-computer era; only now does it seem to slowly change, e.g. the AF setttings on newer Canon bodies. The list above is before I really start thinking about what else I would like to see in the firmware...
11-15-2012 02:44 AM
Hi, I would like to make a suggestion to Canon on the 5D3 camera, with regard to the minimum shutter speed for auto ISO. Currently I find that most of the selectable shutter speeds are on the low side (mostly below 1/125), and this may not be useful for handheld photography, or for fast moving subjects. I would like to suggest the following:
- More minimum shutter speed settings faster than 1/125 including in-between speeds e.g. 1/160 (between 1/125 and 1/250)
- Automatic shutter speed based on a multiple of lens focal length e.g. 2x lens focal length (for both prime and zoom lenses)
I hope that Canon can come up with an updated firmware that does this. Thanks.
11-15-2012 10:36 AM
11-15-2012 01:14 PM
There are many good ideas posted here.
Speaking to the original EOS 5D...
I too would like to have a built-in intervalometer.
Fully featured auto-exposure bracketing... HDR shooting.
The fact that Magic Lantern can add these capabilities to my camera begs the question why doesn't Canon just do it? It would add so much value to their cameras!
Auto ISO with fixed aperture and shutter speed.
Focus distance in EXIF data.