cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Europe trip; bring DSLR or buy small camera?

ScottyP
Authority

We will be going to Europe and I am probably going to take the DSLR and 2 or 3 lenses.  I am also considering buying a small but good non-interchangeable lens camera.  Something with a big-ish sensor and with a big aperture lens, though, not just a cheapo.

Since lens compatibility is not an issue, I am not limiting myself to Canons as I go to look into this possibility.

I am not particularly worried about the weight and bulk of the DSLR, more worried about theft, I think.  Perhaps I should worry about the bulk, but I do want to get really high quality photos because I probably won't be going back any time soon so this is kind of a big deal.

Thoughts on lenses, backpacks and small cameras?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
22 REPLIES 22

John makes a good point.  Many of the best sights in Europe are small, tight, or narrow spaces.  When you encounter places that are not, they're usually grand vistas that are begging for a super wide angle lens.  

The 35mm Art and your 24-105 does sound like a good pair.  You may be better off buying an ultra-wide lens, instead of a point and shoot.  Remember, I think point and shoots are expensive disposables.  Although, a high quality point and shoot just might be what's best, because of their small size and weight..

Your biggest problem just may be charging you're camera batteries, though.  Take a couple of spare memory cards, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

John makes a good point.  Many of the best sights in Europe are small, tight, or narrow spaces.  When you encounter places that are not, they're usually grand vistas that are begging for a super wide angle lens.  

The 35mm Art and your 24-105 does sound like a good pair.  You may be better off buying an ultra-wide lens, instead of a point and shoot.  Remember, I think point and shoots are expensive disposables.  Although, a high quality point and shoot just might be what's best, because of their small size and weight..

Your biggest problem just may be charging you're camera batteries, though.  Take a couple of spare memory cards, too.

I don't see a problem charging the camera batteries. Most (all?) Canon chargers work on both 110VAC and 220VAC and both 50 and 60 Hz. What you will need, though, is one or more adapters, because the wall outlets in Europe are incompatible with their US or British counterparts. You may also want to take a short extension cord, because a charger that plugs directly into the wall could be hard to use, even with an adapter.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"I think point and shoots are expensive disposables"

You may think so but you are far from correct. Some of the top rated P&S are capable of outstanding results.  Canon lages behind this market just like it does in mirrorless cameras. The Fujifilm X100F being one of several. The Sony DSC-RX1/B if you have the coin. More reasonable priced Panasonic LUMIX DMC-LX10K is very good.

Since you have never used one it isn't a good idea the bash the whole format.  The Powershot G1x Mk II does a great job. I got to try a Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II the other day and it is fantastic at less than $700 bucks.

One problem you have with most P&S cameras is you can't get a real WA lens.  But that seems to be what folks seem to think Scotty needs.  Not so with the high end models, however.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have no crop camera anymore so the 17-55 is a paperweight. I should probably sell it. I had thought about getting a 7d2 or an 80d as a sports camera/second camera but my girls have not developed much interest in sports.   I may grab a 6d2 when they come out instead, or possibly a 5d4. 

I hate to go anywhere without one bright prime so I am having a hard time leaving the 35mm home.

I also was having an issue with leaving the 70-200 but mostly just because I love it. I am warming to the idea though because it is big and heavy and possibly a longer FL than I'll need. 

I never really fell in love with the 24-105 but it probably does make sense for the trip. 

I have never shot WA before and I am wondering if I should consider buying the 16-35 III.  

I wish I lived near NYC or somewhere with a camera shop so I could try out camera backpacks. It is hard to really evaluate fit and size on the internet. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

"I am having a hard time leaving the 35mm home."

Then don't.  No matter what this is an outstanding lens.  It makes a wonderful 'normal' lens, too.  Matter of fact the 35mil and the 70-200mm are a pretty good combo start.  Just a more WA and you are set.

"Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art", not too shabby in my book.  You like the Siggy so have you considered the 20mm F1.4 DG HSM  A ?  You will like it just as much.  A WA zoom I have come to really like is my Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Lens.  It is only $550 and preforms like $1550.  I really, really like that Tok.  It is amazing.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The choice of a camera bag is as personal as selecting a pair of comfortable shoes.

My preference in DSLR camera has been evolving, probably because my camera kit has also been evolving.  Back in the film days, I carried the classic camera shoulder bag with a body and 2 lenses, flash, and stuff.  It was a little awkward to use, because I always needed a table or a some other clean place to put it down, so i could open it.  But, that is what we had to work with back then.

Fast forward 30 years, and my old shoulder bag was too small for my DSLR and 3 lenses, and stuff.  I bought a camera backpack, with all of the dividers.  I bought another backpack when my lens arsenal grew to 5 lenses.  Bought another backpack when I bought a second camera body.  Discovered that you need really big backpacks to hold a professional size body upright.  So, I bought one of those, too.  The big kit weighs a ton fully loaded.  It stays in the car, or at home.

It didn't take me long to realize that backpacks don't work very well on a hot summer day, either.  You wind up carrying it as a sling, over one shoulder, which forces me to lean a little bit as I walk.  Not very comfortable, and it meant one hand was always holding the strap secured to my shoulder, which defeated the purpose of carrying a backpack. Both hands were not free..  

My backpacks had gotten to be too big for everyday toting, anyway.  I wanted something to carry a pro size body, or a camera w/grip, with a 70-200 f/2.8 lens mounted to it.  That's when I discovered a holster.  I can go hands-free, because the holster can sling across my chest.

I've been carrying a holster for over 18 months.  It's perfect for safely carrying a camera, with a mounted lens.  It doesn't shout Joe the Professional Photographer, either.  When I want to carry extra stuff, I use a messenger style bag, which I can carry on my shoulder or slung across my chest.  I've found a messenger bag is more comfortable on the shoulder than a backpack, AND I can reach inside of it without having to put it down, or take it off my shoulder.  

Because the messenger bag is on my shoulder, and not on my back like a backpack, it is more secure.  I have less worry when I am in a crowd about someone opening a zipper on my backpack.  The messenger has fewer exposed zippers, and the main compartment is protected b a big flap.

I have been looking at holsters (Cotton Carrier, etc.) for around my normal stomping grounds.  The readings and my one prior personal experience in Barcelona pickpockets dictates that would not work on this trip though.

The messenger bag added to the holster sounds like a good combo.

Scott

I use the smallest cableclik (black one) to fasten zipper pulls together for security.

Barcelona pickpockets are amazing what they can do and how fast.

http://www.cableclamp.com/product-category/cable-clic/

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@ScottyP wrote:

I have been looking at holsters (Cotton Carrier, etc.) for around my normal stomping grounds.  The readings and my one prior personal experience in Barcelona pickpockets dictates that would not work on this trip though.

The messenger bag added to the holster sounds like a good combo.

Canon only offers one holster, which is just large enough to hold a Rebel and the kit 18-55mm lens.  It's fairly small.

I use a Lowepro Toploader Series holster.  The different models vary on their lens depth, and camera body width.  They make two models at each lens depth, one for full size bodies like a 6D, and one for pro size bodies.  

I use their biggest one.  It can hold a 1D Series with a 70-200mm f/2.8 attached, with tripod foot and a reversed hood.  Since the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM is nearly identical in size, it can hold that lens, too.  In addition to the shoulder strap, it has an auxiliary strap that you can attach to it that goes around your waist.  All of them have rain covers and at least two pockets.  I'm pretty sure you've seen an image I have posted of a holster.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I've been to Europe several times. For the places I went a tele zoom was not needed. Like wadizzle said, wide is more useful..

Inside churches, narrow streets and the like were the main venues I was at. 16-35 and 24-105 would be a good two lens set for that trip based on my experience.

A monopod for steadying inside buildings would be helpful - forget a tripod.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements