cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark II Issues

WFO
Apprentice

I rarely use the camera anymore since my kids are grown, however, when I turned it on and look into the camera I only get a round field of view instead of the entire frame. I removed the lens and saw that there was a bar accross the opening which I lightly pushed back up.

Before I pushed this small bar up, it left a line in the picture.

Now the camera takes a great picture but the view is not normal. I have switched lenses and still get the same small circle in the viewer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

"small bar"??

Inside the 5D II, normally you will see the reflex mirror in it's "down" position.  Above the reflex mirror is the focusing screen (in the roof of the mirror chamber)    It's is essentially a tray (frame) which holds the the focusing screen, but is hinged at the back so that it can drop down for access when swapping screens.

Here's a shot of the inside of my 5D II

VO3A2033.jpg

You can see the reflex mirror at the bottom, but you can see the focusing screen at the top.  There is no "bar" per se, but that focusing screen is held in place by the hinge-mounted tray.  Pulling the tab (top center) would release it and allow it to swing down (though the screen might stick to the roof).  

If this managed to get loose and swing down then it's possible your focusing screen is not properly seated.

Before proceeding further, please watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szFOsQ4pGWo

Canon normally does not want your fingers to touch that screen -- which is why they provide a special tool for use when changing the screen (they sell optional screens for your camera and you can swap these yourself.)  You will need to be espeially careful here as you do not have their tool.

My guess is your screen is not correctly seated and, as such, the focused distance to that screen (you can think of it as frosted glass - a focused image is actually being projected onto that screen provided the screen is located in it's correct position. 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

hsbn
Whiz

what lens are you using? You may use the wrong lens for the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

"small bar"??

Inside the 5D II, normally you will see the reflex mirror in it's "down" position.  Above the reflex mirror is the focusing screen (in the roof of the mirror chamber)    It's is essentially a tray (frame) which holds the the focusing screen, but is hinged at the back so that it can drop down for access when swapping screens.

Here's a shot of the inside of my 5D II

VO3A2033.jpg

You can see the reflex mirror at the bottom, but you can see the focusing screen at the top.  There is no "bar" per se, but that focusing screen is held in place by the hinge-mounted tray.  Pulling the tab (top center) would release it and allow it to swing down (though the screen might stick to the roof).  

If this managed to get loose and swing down then it's possible your focusing screen is not properly seated.

Before proceeding further, please watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szFOsQ4pGWo

Canon normally does not want your fingers to touch that screen -- which is why they provide a special tool for use when changing the screen (they sell optional screens for your camera and you can swap these yourself.)  You will need to be espeially careful here as you do not have their tool.

My guess is your screen is not correctly seated and, as such, the focused distance to that screen (you can think of it as frosted glass - a focused image is actually being projected onto that screen provided the screen is located in it's correct position. 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

You are spot on! I called Canon and they told me my Focusing screen was bad. I drove into town and found out that the screen had actually fallen out of the camera. I feel like a squid! I bought a new screen and had it put in @ no charge. Thanks so much for the reply! Have a great Holiday season.
Announcements