cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you post your photos on Facebook or Flickr?

ilzho
Rising Star

Hi:

I'm sure this has been hashed out before, but since I do not have a website, where do you post your photos online? 

I'm not a professional, I'm a beginner and when I get some nice shots, I'll email them to the parties as an album that I created in Flickr.

Curious to know, for beginners like myself, what is a safe way to post photos without them getting stolen?

Not that anyone would steal mine, lol, but since I do not have a digital watermark program, I'll take suggestions.

Thanks,

David

11 REPLIES 11

@diverhank wrote:

I don't make a living with my photography.  I post mine online on Flickr where you can limit the size of your displayed photos and you can disable downloading for non-friend and non-family members.  This will not prevent theft but minimize it somewhat.

I generally do not worry about my work getting stolen.  Once in a while, they'd be referenced on some travel brochures or wildlife articles without my permission even though they credited me as the author (usually outside of the US -South America, Asia and Russia, in my case) .

In general, people are very honest.  They would generally ask my permission for use or offer to buy my pictures.

Flickr allows you to choose if you want them to market your photos and will give you a cut of the profit if you do.

I do know of one personal case of someone selling prints on ebay of a friend's NASCAR photos he posted on Flickr without his permission. Someone recognized his photo and advised him of it.

TTMartin wrote:

Flickr allows you to choose if you want them to market your photos and will give you a cut of the profit if you do.

I do know of one personal case of someone selling prints on ebay of a friend's NASCAR photos he posted on Flickr without his permission. Someone recognized his photo and advised him of it.

Flickr used to market your photos via Getty's Images but they don't anymore.

I don't doubt that works have been stolen off Flickr...if you limit the images to small enough size, making prints out of them will be pretty hard, though.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements