cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do any Cannon DSLR's not have 29 min video stop, and work with the Exfat sdxc fornat cards no 4gb

zuma48
Apprentice

Do any Cannon DSLR's not have 29 min video stop, and work with the Exfat sdxc fornat cards no 4gb limit?

For VIDEO?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nearly all of the Canon "Vixia" line of cams are under $1k. The Vixia HF G30 is $1150 and that's the only model above $1k.  These are all consumer-priced models.  (The X series XAnn, XFnnn, & XCnn are higher end, and of course the Cinema EOS bodies are significantly more expensive.)

So far as I'm aware they all support SDXC cards.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You are asking two different questions.

First... the video time limit.  That's not a technical limit it's a limit imposed by regulatory rules.  Thought the US does not do this, many countries impose import tariffs on video cameras which are higher than the import tariffs on photographic cameras.  But today's modern digital cameras can ALL record video.  So the treaty (thank those trade-pacts) established that as long as the camera limits the recording time to "less than 30 minutes" then the photographic camera wont be tariffed as a video camera and thus can be sold at a lower price point.

Literally every DSLR on the market that I have ever encountered has this same limit.  It's not a Canon thing.

That's probably not the answer you wanted... but it is what it is.

Next... the exfat / SDXC support question.  YES... there are numerous Canon DSLRs that support this.

Currently it appears that every Canon EOS DSLR camera which is "currently" marketed (in 2015) supports SDXC and understands the exFat filesystem.  If you have an older camera, however, it may have been built before the SDXC standard and would (understandably) not support it.  

My old Rebel T1i did not support it (that supported sizes up to the SDHC spec) but the T2i did support it (it included the SDXC spec.)

If you have an older camera (T1i, XS, XSi, etc.) then it's not going to support SDXC.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you, was afraid of that. What Cams under 1k do you know that do not have any limit and use the Exfat.  thank you

Nearly all of the Canon "Vixia" line of cams are under $1k. The Vixia HF G30 is $1150 and that's the only model above $1k.  These are all consumer-priced models.  (The X series XAnn, XFnnn, & XCnn are higher end, and of course the Cinema EOS bodies are significantly more expensive.)

So far as I'm aware they all support SDXC cards.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements