cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting an object in the background?

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I took several photos of my grandson and his hyper-hound for a magazine article. However, the return air grate is behind his head! Other positions and backrounds were not conducive for this "theme" of the article,"How to watch an outdoor video." Your help is, as always, most appreciated. This is the worst of several photos but wanted to use it to illlustrate the problem and as an example of what to do. BTW, have the photos in jpg and RAW. This is the jpg; not sure if the RAW would show up.IMG_7506.JPG

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
22 REPLIES 22

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Use Photoshop; lot's of free tutorials on that online.

What I'd personally do is use the patch tool and sample from the wall just above it.  Then, fine-tune the detail areas.

Havind said that, have you explored all possible angles?  Or, cover the vent with some non-wrinkled brown paper? It would be much easier to work with that that versus the vent in post-production.

Or... use a shallower depth of field.  Though for this particular situation, I don't think that'd do very much.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

After I posted this,I thought of a tapestry of some sort. DPP4 has a tutorial on cropping but it only focuses on a small area of the photo. Also, seen some that take the central part and impose it on a different background. Will see what I can come up with. es-eos, thanks for the reply and tips.

John

The stamp tool in DPP could be used but it would be painfully slow since you have to work with the irregular area around the subject's hairline.  Photoshop is a much better choice for this with its intelligent selection tools.

I definitely prefer taking care of stuff like this prior to capture when possible but when it isn't, then Photoshop is the answer.

Shooting primarily sports, I don't use those types of Photoshop tools often and DPP is all I need for the great majority of images.  But Photoshop is like four wheel drive on my pickup, when you need it you REALLY need it and the Adobe creative cloud subscription is quite reasonable.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"Photoshop is a much better choice for this with its intelligent selection tools."

PS is just not a better choice it is the only choice if you want top notch work. Plus you need to learn how to work non-destructively.  Simple use of the clone stamp is a destructive tool. A person in my line of work deals with backgrounds all the time. Some of the time you can not control what is behind your subject.

A good understand on how to use layers and masks in PS is mandatory. This is a non-destructive way of post editing. You can always undo whatever you did. The original photo is always there.

I just got through with Senior Posters for 2021.  Senior posters is a big thing right now and learning PS greatly enhances my time management.  However, its basics is good for most any project.  Here is a sample of my BG with layers and masks that stay as they are through the entire shoot.  Al I need do is insert the student Senior in a new layer.

BG for Poster.jpg

Notice all the layers are on the right side. Each is non-destructive and can either be displayed or hidden.  What I am trying to get across in a somewhat lengthly way is, in any photo you edit make use of layer and masks. Yours may not be as complicated as this example but it is a "best practice" to get used to. Perhaps you will only need one or two layers but I hope you get my point.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1 and others, I'm understanding that PS has more editing capabilities than DPP4. I looked and PS is what I would describe as an investment. Would it pay to keep DPP4 or delete it and go 100% with PS? I realize that there are those on here that make a living with photography and necessary editing. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

John

While I personally don't use DPP4, it's free so I would keep it.  And it should be useful to make basic edits.

Personally I use the Photography plan from Adobe.  Around 10 USD per month for both Lightroom and Photoshop.  I use Lightroom to organize/catalog/keyword all my photos and to do basic edits.  And then Photoshop for more complex edits.

Photoshop is definitely an investment, but IMO a very sound one.  I started with Photoshop 3.  Prior to photography, I used to it create user-interface elements for my software, artwork for DVD menus (Photoshop had a nice non-square pixel workflow) and numerous other tasks.

--
Ricky

Ricky, thanks for your reply. Curious why you use LR for organizing and PS for complex edits as you state. Doesn't PS have organizing capabilities or is it imited as opposed to LR?

John

Photoshop doesn't have any organization features.  I guess it does come with Bridge which does, but I never liked Bridge so just use Lightroom.

--
Ricky

"Photoshop doesn't have any organization features.  I guess it does come with Bridge which does..."

The PS combo along with Bridge do exactly the same operations and features as LR and PS does together. How they go about handling the job at hand and your procedures is quite different. If you are simply looking for software that will alter and/or tweak or otherwise enhance your photographs, either one will work.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements