cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deciding On A Camera

Summer16
Contributor
Hello all,

I have been having a hard time trying to find information about a couple cameras, so decided to try this discussion site.
I have an old canon EOS 20D and am looking a getting a new body.
First off: do all camera lens fit on all bodies?
I need a camera that's in the $600 and under price range. I found the Canon Rebel T5i, the Rebel T56, and the EOS 70D. With 70D you obviously get more for your money sense it's around $999.

Does anyone have experience with these cameras or know of a camera that's in my budget? If so, that would be great! There is so many cameras, it's hard to find one that will last me awhile and has good image quality! I also loved the video idea, and most cameras now days include that.
The built in Wi-Fi would be very useful, but is probably only seen in more expensive cameras.

If anyone has ideas that would be helpful!

23 REPLIES 23

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I have found the Wi-Fi to be a seldom used feature, but that is just me.  I don't mind using a USB cable, or even removing the card and connecting to a laptop.  I would not recommend the T5 as an upgrade from an older DSLR. 

Your camera can used any EF, or EF-S, lens made by Canon.  It is the full frame bodies liike the 1D, 5D, or 6D that cannot mount EF-S lenses.

I suggest you check out the Canon Online Refurbished Store for a 70D...TODAY.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Summer16
Contributor
Thank you for the fast reply (:

Okay, the Wi-Fi isn't something I really need then.

I will research more about the Canon 70D. Thank you for the recommendation. I checked the Canon Online Referbished store for one, and there was a couple, but I actually am not getting a new one for about a month. I'm just researching my options.

Is there any other cameras you know of that have great image quality, video, but not as expensive as the 70D?

"Is there any other cameras you know of that have great image quality, video, but not as expensive as the 70D?" 

No, not really, not at that refurbished price.  That brand new kit used to sell for nearly twice that price.  You may have noticed that the many, in fact most, of the items at the refurbished store were "not in stock", including just the 70D body.  What you see today, may not be available a month from now, especially seeing how the refurbished is being deeply discounted.

Summer16
Contributor
Is it worth it to spend the $300 more to get the Canon 70D? I just recently got into photography, so I want to find a camera in my budget.

I'll keep the 70D in mind. Thank you!

@Summer16 wrote:
Is it worth it to spend the $300 more to get the Canon 70D? I just recently got into photography, so I want to find a camera in my budget.

I'll keep the 70D in mind. Thank you!

No, I'm not talking about spending $300 more.  You should take a look at the prices in Canon's Online Refurbished Store!

I really don't know if there is anything to it, but there are a lot of people out there saying their 70d has a focusing defect. Lots of others say they are wrong.  Could be there are some bad units out there, more than the normal number for a camera model, or maybe not. Personally it would probably be enough to make me avoid the 70d and go with something else. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

I really don't know if there is anything to it, but there are a lot of people out there saying their 70d has a focusing defect. Lots of others say they are wrong.  Could be there are some bad units out there, more than the normal number for a camera model, or maybe not. Personally it would probably be enough to make me avoid the 70d and go with something else. 

He is right about many people having issues with a 70D.  However, refurbished cameras are hand checked, and repaired as needed.  Because of the inspection, testing and repairs that units undergo, I suspect that refurbished cameras and lenses just may be more reliable than the same item, brand new off the shelf.

@ScottyP wrote:

I really don't know if there is anything to it, but there are a lot of people out there saying their 70d has a focusing defect. ...   ...   ...  Personally it would probably be enough to make me avoid the 70d and go with something else. 

Do you have any alternative suggestions that fits the OP's budget? 

I would look at the T6i instead of the T5i.  They really improved the AF.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements