cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLR NOOB

jordo
Contributor

I have a camera gig lined up for shooting video for xtreme sport type events and I am looking to get my first DSLR camera. I have experience with other camera types like AF100, P2, and Black magic cameras but never really used a DSLR. So I was wondering what lenses would be good to shoot this type of video and what body I should start out with. I was looking at the 70D but may just start with a t3i and go from there. 

Thanks in advance!

16 REPLIES 16

$450 for a body only would look better to me.  But $500 isn't too bad for a really nice one.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I can grab the 60D body for 450, or spend the money and grab the 70D new. Is the difference between the two cameras big enough to justify spending the extra $800 dollars?

Just to be clear ... the 60D does not have continuous auto-focus when shooting video.  You either have to manually focus -or- you can press the focus button when you want to re-focus (I think that's mapped to the asterisk button on the back of the camera when you are shooting in video mode) and it will "hunt" for focus (and yes... it will be noticeable in the video that the camera is guessing it's way toward better focus.)

The 70D does have continuous auto-focus when shooting video.  Since the 70D has Canon's new technology which provides "phase detect" style auto-focus on the sensor, the camera can do continuous auto-focus while shooting video and it does not have to do focus-hunt (where it makes a focus adjustment guess and analyzes to see if it got better or worse... then iterate through a few more guesses to refine focus - which is a slow focusing method.)

When shooting action... things are passing you by.  If the camera can't respond quickly enough then the moment is lost.

I don't know what YOU specifically shoot and or if it's even possible to pre-plan focus... sometimes it is (e.g. suppose you're covering an event where the athletes are doing a jump and you can pre-focus on the jump ramp... you know the distance so you can establish that before they approach the target area.)  But for any "action" photography where you can't control the shooting circumstances and simply have to react... I know I'd prefer the 70D or a true video camera.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Do or did you say you have a lens for this new purchase?  If not you still need to buy a sutible lens as some of the DSLR lenses are not very good in many ways.  Focus id one.

Maybe the Canon XA10 HD Professional Camcorder is a better choice for you at $1500.  It will do video way better than the DSLR will.  Plus if you need a lens or you need to replace a lens, the price may not be all that out of line.  The Canon XA10 HD Professional Camcorder will not suffer from the other ills of a DSLR shooting video either.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I think I'm going to go with the 70D. So now I just need a solid all round lens to start. 

I would get the kit lens that comes with the 70D.  Either the 18-55 STM or 18-135 STM so you can fully take advantage of the added AF capability that STM gives you on the 70D. 

(B&H Photo prices) B&H Photo 70D

$999 70D body only 

$1149 70D witn 18-55 STM

$1349 70D with 18-135 STM

The 18-135 STM is a very good lens and a bargain when purchased in the kit.

If you need a wider angle lens, the 10-18 STM would be a good choice. 

Mike Sowsun

Went with the canon 70D + 18-135mm kit lens 🙂

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements