cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering moving from EOS R5 to Fuji GFX 100s

SuttonWillow
Apprentice

Any one done similar? I wouldn't necessarily have to sell my R5, but it would certainly help with the cost of getting new lenses and stuff... I know this a canon subreddit, and I'm still planning to be a canon guy too, but was just curious if anyone had experience moving over and had thoughts or warnings?

I borrowed a GFX 50R for a while and really liked the images. I wish Canon had a medium format option. I do mostly portrait and landscape work, and while not full-time, I do get enough work to fund my habit, hobby, addiction, whatever you wanna call it 😛

The other reason I am asking here, is that I asked for thoughts on the Fuji subreddit and some guy wrote a 5 page response about how I was stupid to want to consider medium format, and that his aps-c xt-3 was better than the R5 and GFX 100s, because its smaller, and who "needs" a big sensor anyways.. I can't take that seriously lol..

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@SuttonWillow wrote:

Any one done similar? I wouldn't necessarily have to sell my R5, but it would certainly help with the cost of getting new lenses and stuff... I know this a canon subreddit, and I'm still planning to be a canon guy too, but was just curious if anyone had experience moving over and had thoughts or warnings?

I borrowed a GFX 50R for a while and really liked the images. I wish Canon had a medium format option. I do mostly portrait and landscape work, and while not full-time, I do get enough work to fund my habit, hobby, addiction, whatever you wanna call it 😛

The other reason I am asking here, is that I asked for thoughts on the Fuji subreddit and some guy wrote a 5 page response about how I was stupid to want to consider medium format, and that his aps-c xt-3 was better than the R5 and GFX 100s, because its smaller, and who "needs" a big sensor anyways.. I can't take that seriously lol..

That last part sounds a lot like "The Angry Photographer" to me.  If you want a Fuji medium format camera, you have my permission to go buy it.  Have fun with it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

There are situations where a medium format has a big advantage.  I shoot primarily sports and I don't want or need huge image sizes with that but there is a parallel to what you are doing.  I stay with full frame because the same number of pixels on a full frame sensor are larger/gather more light than the same number on an APS-C sensor and I do a lot of reduced light, fast action photography where that makes a difference.  With medium format, you are getting the quality larger individual receptors can deliver with enough space on the sensor for a lot of them.

Technology can do a lot but basic physics still has a say.  I am sure Canon will sell a lot of their RF 800 lenses because it is small and inexpensive for an 800 mm lens but I wouldn't want to be limited to a f11 lens and there are plenty of times when I wish my EF 800 f5.6 were faster. I will probably never wear out the aperture mechanism on my EF 300 and 400 f2.8 lenses because they spend 99% of their time shooting wide open so there is no step down between AF/metering and image capture.

There are tradeoffs, benefits, and drawbacks whether you are are comparing full frame to APS-C or medium format to "35mm" format.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@SuttonWillow,

Few here will probably recommend you buy the fuji, and conversely no one on the fuji forums will probably suggest the R5.  

The camera's are so different from a technology standpoint.  I have zero hands on experience with fuji.  

I'm a Canon enthusiast, but not a fan of the R5/6, basically for many of the reasons you sight.  R5 too many MP.  The R6 would probably be a better choice for me, but its 20.1MP would bother me if I couldn't crop as much as I wanted.  

My initial feeling is wait

Canon Rumors has already said there are going to be 1 or more new Canon APS-C bodies released this year.  If that is what you think might really make you happy?

Not sure where the GFX100 fits in to that.  If you are considering that, I'd wait for the R1's release.  It will likely have 90+ MP but once you get into body's at that pricepoint, having choices is a good thing.  it also sounds like you own some Canon glass, so switching is going to be costly, and what happens if you don't like it?  Just because you can afford it doesn't make it a wise investment. 

Like cars, cameras are dereciating assets.  My advice again, is wait.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

@SuttonWillow,

Few here will probably recommend you buy the fuji, and conversely no one on the fuji forums will probably suggest the R5.  

The camera's are so different from a technology standpoint.  I have zero hands on experience with fuji.  

I'm a Canon enthusiast, but not a fan of the R5/6, basically for many of the reasons you sight.  R5 too many MP.  The R6 would probably be a better choice for me, but its 20.1MP would bother me if I couldn't crop as much as I wanted.  

My initial feeling is wait

Like cars, cameras are dereciating assets.  My advice again, is wait.   

I don't see anything wrong with 45MP, not if I can capture at least 10 fps.  If it does 20 fps, I can always dial it down.

BTW, what is wrong with 20 MP, anyway.  The 1Dx Mark III produces beautiful 20 MP images, and so dos the 7D2.

E43EAADE-FA7C-41FE-BE86-FC815D613E40.jpeg

I downloaded this image from my FB page, so it is only 366 KB file size.  You should see it in LIghtroom.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I don't see anything wrong with 45MP, ... BTW, what is wrong with 20 MP, ... The 1Dx Mark III produces beautiful 20 MP images, and so dos the 7D2."

Neither do I.  But, the lens used and choice has more to do with it than MP does. I doubt Fuji has any better lenses than Canon does. Perhaps not even equal.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I owned some of the cameras you named. 20MP is great for file transfer. Pro sports photographers need to send the photos quickly through the wire. Big files take too long. R5 makes beautiful photo detail. For birds the sensor is excellent. You can also crop and have great detail. No perfect camera. For me R5 is the best. The R5 mkII will be even better.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" If you want a Fuji medium format camera, you have my permission to go buy it."

I agree with this. If you want one go get it. Apparently you have the means and desire. Its not like its an end of the world decision. Its a camera, if it works out great if it doesn't get rid of it and move on.

Personally I wouldn't do it and I have used every size and format camera there is all the way to 8x10 sheet film cameras. In general photography you don't need medium format and it will offer you little. Perhaps hurt!  But if you have a specific need it is great.

Mirrorless is the future.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ThreeCee
Apprentice

Fujifilm have loyal fans. Their color science is very good. Medium format is for very special photo assignments. I think Canon, Sony, and Nikon are better for general purpose use. More options in glass too.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

It's funny how things change.   Two years ago I'd never have considered an R5.  When this thread was started, mirrorless was only two and a half years old and the R5 / R6 were barely 9 months old.  I was still hoping for a 5D4.

I had a 6D2 at the time and knew 20 MP wasn't what I wanted, but did I really need 45?

Of course the R5 went on to be one of Canon's. best selling cameras of all time.  I have no regrets at 45 megapixels today, but am happy I waited for the R5 C.

ThreeCee made a good point.  In some cases, each manufacturer has something that excels in certain use cases.  While my preference is Canon, others should use whatever gear works for them and satisfies their needs and workflow.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It
Announcements