cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect to camera via WiFi from computer as network drive

redbrad0
Apprentice

So I am trying to do something a little different with the camera and trying to make sure I purchase the correct camera. Basically I want to connect the camera to my WiFi network and be able to take pictures in the living room but at the same time my computer is able to access the photos on the camera and browse all the file name through Windows Explorer. Basically I am looking to write a program for my computer that will grab the photo from the remote camera and copy it to my local computer, make some changes to the photo and then save it and delete the original from the camera.

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@redbrad0 wrote:

Basically I am looking to write a program for my computer .....

Not much help can be found in these forums on that topic.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

redbrad0
Apprentice
I don’t need help writing the program, I need help just being able to access the pictures through Windows Explorer with both the camera and computer on the same network but not plugged in together. Is there a certain camera that would allow me to do this?

@redbrad0 wrote:
I don’t need help writing the program, I need help just being able to access the pictures through Windows Explorer with both the camera and computer on the same network but not plugged in together. Is there a certain camera that would allow me to do this?

I can talk to my 5D Mark IV that way from my Windows 10 laptop, using EOS Utility. I haven't tried doing so with Windows Explorer. I'd have to question whether it would work, since it assumes that the camera looks enough like a Windows file system to fool Windows Explorer, something it wouldn't necessarily have to do for EOS Utility. Why donj't you just give it a try? You should be able to refer to the camera via its IP address.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@redbrad0 wrote:

I can talk to my 5D Mark IV that way from my Windows 10 laptop, using EOS Utility. I haven't tried doing so with Windows Explorer. I'd have to question whether it would work, since it assumes that the camera looks enough like a Windows file system to fool Windows Explorer, something it wouldn't necessarily have to do for EOS Utility. Why donj't you just give it a try? You should be able to refer to the camera via its IP address.

If the EOS Utility Service is running, then other applications may be blocked from accessing the files in the camera.  This is a certainty if the user interface, the EOS Utility Applicaiton Window is up and running.  Other applications will be “see” the other files in the camera as either inaccessible, or as “open by another user”.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

redbrad0
Apprentice
I tried but had problems getting it on WiFi. I have someone trying to help get it connected tomorrow. Just trying to see if there is a certain camera I should buy.

@redbrad0 wrote:
I tried but had problems getting it on WiFi. I have someone trying to help get it connected tomorrow. Just trying to see if there is a certain camera I should buy.

What camera are you using for the test? Is it able to obtain an IP address, either via DHCP (the preferred method) or manual setting? Does it respond to a ping?

Bob

redbrad0
Apprentice
Canon Rebel T6. When I go into settings on the camera and turn on wifi it never asks me which network I want to connect to. I tried using the EOS Utility which I can connect to camera through the cable and setup Google Drive but nothing in there asked me which network to connect with.

@redbrad0 wrote:
Canon Rebel T6. When I go into settings on the camera and turn on wifi it never asks me which network I want to connect to. I tried using the EOS Utility which I can connect to camera through the cable and setup Google Drive but nothing in there asked me which network to connect with.

Keep in mind that the camera's WiFi interface and its USB port can't be active at the same time. So it can't look for an access point while you're talking to it via USB.

Bob
Announcements