cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confessional ...

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Forgive me for I have sinned... I have had lustful thoughts for another camera brand! Smiley Embarassed

While I, like many, have made the transition from film to digital (and probably won't return), I have often expressed a nostalgic yearning for a digital camera that looks and feels like my old Nikon F3, and Canon A1 SLRs. Now, I have developed a serious attraction for the Nikon Df camera - and this coming from a confirmed Canon user!!

I love the vintage look over the top of a really well provisioned digital FF camera. I wonder what one would be like with the Sigma 24-105 f4 Art lens... (lustful sigh...)

Cold showers for a week I suspect... Smiley Wink

Maybe Canon could look into that and make something FF that looks and feels like a Canon A-1???

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
17 REPLIES 17

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Tronhard wrote:

Forgive me for I have sinned... I have had lustful thoughts for another camera brand! Smiley Embarassed

While I, like many, have made the transition from film to digital (and probably won't return), I have often expressed a nostalgic yearning for a digital camera that looks and feels like my old Nikon F3, and Canon A1 SLRs. Now, I have developed a serious attraction for the Nikon Df camera - and this coming from a confirmed Canon user!!

I love the vintage look over the top of a really well provisioned digital FF camera. I wonder what one would be like with the Sigma 24-105 f4 Art lens... (lustful sigh...)

Cold showers for a week I suspect... Smiley Wink

Maybe Canon could look into that and make something FF that looks and feels like a Canon A-1???

If you are going to be nostalgic, you better just put a 50mm prime lens on it, otherwise, you've just ruined it.

You seem to be one of the few people lusting for the Nikon Df as the camera has pretty much been a sales flop for Nikon.

Yes I have read some of the vitriole levelled at it when checked out what the Nikon forum thought of it.  That said, there was a constitiuency of old timers like me who 'got' the idea behind the body and liked it.

As far as the lens goes, well nostalgia goes only so far! Smiley Very Happy

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have developed a serious attraction for the Nikon Df camera - and this coming from a confirmed Canon user!!"

I see no problem here.  Do it.  I am a multi-brand camera owner.  I also am not afraid to tell it like it is either. The Nikon D5 is the best DSLR made today. Smiley Surprised

I used a Nikon Df FX for a while.  I had two Nikon F3's.  One got stolen and the other dropped so that is where that is!  Back in the day the Canon F1n was the best camera so I never got the dropped F3 fixed. But the Df FX is a really fun camera especially if you came up with Nikon film.

If you want a 50mil, get the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 G.  It is one of Nikon's best lenses at any price.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank for your positive comments.  Yes, brands have their own challenges.  The Canon bodies often have their comparitive lack of DR levelled against them, but they have awesome glass.  Back in the day I had the mix of Canon and Nikon bodies,but I used Tamron Adaptall SP lenses that could fit both because I just could not carry lenses specific to both brands.  They worked well enough.  Below is a shot taken 35 years ago on Ektachrome 200, scanned recently after being lost for decades.

NZ Fiordland Wanaka Lake.jpg

Today that is a much more complicated matter with differences in the Canon and Nikon mounts making a mix and match via adaptors impractical.  So far I have always bought (a LOT of) Canon gear, but that old style handling is something I had missed.  The Df body is both light and functinal - with full digital controls to back up the dials, and it has an excellent snesor.

I can't see me buying a bunch of glass for this if I get it, hence my attraction to the Sigma 24-105 Art lens, which is highly regarded as a great walk-around unit, which is all I expect to need for the time being - IF I get it.

cheers, TREVOR

Personally I still shoot film.  Not too often since I no longer process it myself.  But on occasion.  I spent $200 to have a C&C done on my F1n. (More than some spend on a camera!)

The thing I see now, film is king of dust.  You quickly forget how much of a problem dust was with film.

It has long been common knowledge Canon owned the world of lenses.  With few exceptions Canon was and is it in lenses. Unfortunately Canon glass is becoming the only reason to buy a new Canon camera.  I hope the powers that be correct this ASAP.

Your Ektachrome shot is gorgeous.  Did you scan the slide?

EB

There is a bit of a story there...

I shot film for several years professionally around NZ, Australia and SE Asia.  When I moved to Canada I had about 1000 marketable slides with me.  They were in my car when it was stolen and the perpetrators burned them all at the side of the road beside my abandoned vehicle.  I was gutted...  Not just for the commecial loss but the loss of three years of memories.

It was after that I went to digital.  Fast forward to last year and I was clearning out an old trunk and I found about 80 transparencies that never made it to the collection.  I sent them to a company in the USA called Scancafe.com and they scanned them for me as HiRes JPG files. While they did a good job, most of the slides had too much noise on them but I have a few that I like.

The one below is special.  I took it on a Canon sureshot AF35M camera - a very humble but effective unit.  I reall liked it but inadvertently thew it out when I was vetting my collection.  I was at work and remember clambering into the skip in my suit to dig through all sorts of stuff to find the slides.  This one had a few marks on it, but I still love the image...

It's Lae Te Anau, NZ South Island on a milsty day in winter...

NZ Fiordland Te Anau Lake Reflections 02a.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

It is a ncie shot.

EB

I tried to support my local camera shop, but they wanted to charge at least 150% of list price for everything.  I bought one lens from them, and Canon did not honor my warranty registration.  And, that was the end of that relationship.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi, Waddizzle!

We can understand your frustration.  Registration is not required in order to activate your warranty.  It takes effect immediately upon the purchase of the product, and if your product were to require service, all we would need would be a copy of a valid receipt to verify your warranty status.

If your lens still needs attention from our technicians, click HERE to set up your repair online today.

We hope this helps!

Announcements