cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compact Canon camera options for travel?

bheem
Apprentice

Been shooting the Canon 6D for years for both hobby and work. It's a great camera and I have good lens to go with it. Recently, I've been opting to just take my phone on hiking trips because the space and weight it saves for long day trips has been Godsent. I've been considering a smaller more compact package that still has the features of a DSLR I need such as the M5 or M50. Do you think it would be worth looking into a used/refurbished one as an option or wait. The lack of decent smaller lens to go with the M series without an adapter has been the biggest reason for my hesitance. Also been looking into Fuji and Sony mirrorless for downsizing purposes. Any suggestions or opinions?

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@bheem wrote:

Been shooting the Canon 6D for years for both hobby and work. It's a great camera and I have good lens to go with it. Recently, I've been opting to just take my phone on hiking trips because the space and weight it saves for long day trips has been Godsent. I've been considering a smaller more compact package that still has the features of a DSLR I need such as the M5 or M50.

Do you think it would be worth looking into a used/refurbished one as an option or wait. The lack of decent smaller lens to go with the M series without an adapter has been the biggest reason for my hesitance. Also been looking into Fuji and Sony mirrorless for downsizing purposes. Any suggestions or opinions?

I bought an M3 when it first came out.  It was a great camera with the lens adapter when used with smaller EF lenses, like the EF 40mm and EF-S 24mm pancake lenses.  Canon has since released the EF-M 22mm f/2.0 STM lens.

0920430038192018_08_201140150-2.jpg

It gives you an angle of view equivalent to a 35mm lens on a full frame.  It is tack sharp, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Don't forget about the Powershot line.  Check out the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II Digital Camera.  I carry a 1Gx almost everywhere I go. The Powershot is a lot better way to go than the M series, IMHO, of course.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I do multi-day hikes in New Zealand, so I understand your quest for a camera that is small and light, yet can perform with decent image capability and a choice of lenses.   Like Ebiggs I have a G1X, but to be honest it is not a favourite camera - I found it slow to react and the shutter button just didn't work well for me. Also I like to use the viewfinder to compose my shots and the viewfinder was blocked by the large lens - if they had just raised it a bit it would have made a big difference - as they did in later models.  If you wanted to stay with that range perhaps the G5X might be worth considering - it has a good general purpose range, feels like a mini DSLR and it can be USB charged in camera, so handy if you want to bring along a solar charger with you.

I went for the Canon EOS M5, with it APS-C sensor, it is roughly the equivalent of the EOS 80D in capabilty.  There is a variety of lenses available, but for hiking I have been taking the 18-150 lens (equivalent FoV to 29- 240mm on a FF camera) - not the fastest lens on the planet but the range of focal lenghts gives me a lot of flexibility and I have found the lens to be quite sharp.

The other camera I have for consideration is the Canon SX60HS.  This has a small sensor but in decent light it gives good results and the FoV (equivalent to 21-1394mm lens on a FF camera), means I can take in wide swathes of scenery or get a bird some distance away.

All cameras can do HD video.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements