cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Circles/light spots on photos

funnybones
Contributor

Hi, I'm fairly new to photography and my Canon T5.  How can I avoid those reflections/circles I get when taking sunsets or moon shots. I tried not focusing directly at the light source but didnt help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@funnybones wrote:

Hi, I'm fairly new to photography and my Canon T5.  How can I avoid those reflections/circles I get when taking sunsets or moon shots. I tried not focusing directly at the light source but didnt help.

What you're describing is probably lens flare. In inexpensive, underdesigned lenses, you may not be able to get rid of it entirely. But it helps to use a lens hood and to keep from pointing in a direction in which sunlight can reflect off the lens. And a cheap filter can sometimes make it worse.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

@funnybones wrote:

I'm usng a Canon EFS 18-55mm  IS  and a  75-300.   It happens on either one.  I mainly use the UV filter for lens protection but if that's contributing I won't use it

A good clear protective filter will cost over half the replacement cost of either of those lenses. You are better off skipping the protective filter, and keep using the lens hood.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Hello all!

We wanted remind all of you that the Canon Community Forums are designed to be a safe place for Canon users to go and post their questions without the fear of ridicule from other users.

We ask that you all review the Canon Community Forum Guidelines section under "Participation," as multiple violations of any of the guidelines can  result to being banned from the Canon Community - either temporarily or permanently. 

The Canon Community Forum Guidelines can be found HERE

Please let us know if you have any questions!

Announcements