cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Circles/light spots on photos

funnybones
Contributor

Hi, I'm fairly new to photography and my Canon T5.  How can I avoid those reflections/circles I get when taking sunsets or moon shots. I tried not focusing directly at the light source but didnt help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@funnybones wrote:

Hi, I'm fairly new to photography and my Canon T5.  How can I avoid those reflections/circles I get when taking sunsets or moon shots. I tried not focusing directly at the light source but didnt help.

What you're describing is probably lens flare. In inexpensive, underdesigned lenses, you may not be able to get rid of it entirely. But it helps to use a lens hood and to keep from pointing in a direction in which sunlight can reflect off the lens. And a cheap filter can sometimes make it worse.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

@funnybones wrote:

I'm usng a Canon EFS 18-55mm  IS  and a  75-300.   It happens on either one.  I mainly use the UV filter for lens protection but if that's contributing I won't use it

A good clear protective filter will cost over half the replacement cost of either of those lenses. You are better off skipping the protective filter, and keep using the lens hood.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

OK!  Thanks so much for your helpful responses!

Sometimes you can shield the lens using a ball cap. Just be careful not to get cap in the image. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"I'm usng a Canon EFS 18-55mm  IS  and a  75-300.   It happens on either one.  I mainly use the UV filter for lens protection but if that's contributing I won't use it"

Most people don't have a clue about filter use.  Some reside here on this forum.  The facts are, cheap filters are"cheap".  Just like a cheap lens isn't as good as the most expensive lens. No different than anything you buy.  You get what you pay for, type thing.  The truth is, filters of any kind are mostly a thing of the past.  They have been made obsolete by the advent of the DSLR.

However, a couple filters remain as still somewhat important or necessary.  These could be an ND, a polarizer and the protecto filters.  The first two depends somewhat on you ability in post editing with software like Photoshop.  Now for the protecto filter.

It probably doesn't make a lot of sense to buy a protecto filter that costs half or so of what the lens cost. But filters have a feature that almost everybody forgets and certainly overlooked here on this forum, they come off as easily as they go on!  When you need it, use it.  When you don't remove it.  Simple?  Now for the last feature.  You can actually use the expensive protecto filter on more than one lens!  If it fits, of course.

It is always best to keep your gear all in the same quality level.  If I were you I would look for protecto filters that more or less do that all will be better.  Most of the time they will be out of sight out of mind.  But sometimes they may cause problems.  That is when you remove it.

Now you have the straight skinny on filters.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Some "L" lenses require a filter for complete "weather sealing" or whatever one wnats to call it. If you will be shooting in conditions where you are relying on te sealing check your lens instruction manual.

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Most people don't have a clue about filter use.  Some reside here on this forum.

And some people seem to feel they must continually cut down other members of the forum thinking it makes themselves look better and more important. It's just sad really.

Keep in mind if a persons technical information was so good, they wouldn't have to resort to personal attacks. 

"It's just sad really."

I don't believe I used anybodies name? Not pointed towards any particular individual.  But some do, don't they?

There is a wonderful feature on the form.  It is the ignore setting. You simply click on the name of the person you find so distasteful and click "Ignore this person".  Hope that is helpful.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"It's just sad really."

I don't believe I used anybodies name? Not pointed towards any particular individual.  But some do, don't they?

There is a wonderful feature on the form.  It is the ignore setting. You simply click on the name of the person you find so distasteful and click "Ignore this person".  Hope that is helpful.

It doesn't matter if you use anyone's name or not. If your information was so wonderful you wouldn't have to degrade ANYONE on this forum. 

"... simply click on the name of the person you find so distasteful and click "Ignore this person".

This will make your days much better.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"... simply click on the name of the person you find so distasteful and click "Ignore this person".

This will make your days much better.

I would suggest you take your own advice.

"I would suggest you take your own advice."

I don't get as upset about it as you seem to.   Try it.  You can always undo it later if you don't like it.

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements