cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Circles/light spots on photos

funnybones
Contributor

Hi, I'm fairly new to photography and my Canon T5.  How can I avoid those reflections/circles I get when taking sunsets or moon shots. I tried not focusing directly at the light source but didnt help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@funnybones wrote:

Hi, I'm fairly new to photography and my Canon T5.  How can I avoid those reflections/circles I get when taking sunsets or moon shots. I tried not focusing directly at the light source but didnt help.

What you're describing is probably lens flare. In inexpensive, underdesigned lenses, you may not be able to get rid of it entirely. But it helps to use a lens hood and to keep from pointing in a direction in which sunlight can reflect off the lens. And a cheap filter can sometimes make it worse.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

@funnybones wrote:

I'm usng a Canon EFS 18-55mm  IS  and a  75-300.   It happens on either one.  I mainly use the UV filter for lens protection but if that's contributing I won't use it

A good clear protective filter will cost over half the replacement cost of either of those lenses. You are better off skipping the protective filter, and keep using the lens hood.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You should post an example of what you're seeing in your photos, so that people can better understand your issue.

Common causes of what you seem to be talking about include cheap lens filters and the lack of a lens hood.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle - Probably the filter - I was using a hood

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@funnybones wrote:

Remove the cheap UV filter.

Price-wise what is considered a good UV filter?

@funnybones wrote:

What you're describing is probably lens flare. In inexpensive, underdesigned lenses, you may not be able to get rid of it entirely. But it helps to use a lens hood and to keep from pointing in a direction in which sunlight can reflect off the lens. And a cheap filter can sometimes make it worse.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you Bob for the info on lens flare.  That explains why it doesn't always happen.  Not what I wanted to hear  but will experiment with my shooting direction and maybe consider a better lens at some point.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
You don't need a UV filter your camera had one built in over the sensor. What lens are you using?

I'm usng a Canon EFS 18-55mm  IS  and a  75-300.   It happens on either one.  I mainly use the UV filter for lens protection but if that's contributing I won't use it

@funnybones wrote:

A good clear protective filter will cost over half the replacement cost of either of those lenses. You are better off skipping the protective filter, and keep using the lens hood.

Announcements