cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 7D Card Access Error Message

ccorc
Apprentice

I am using a ScanDisk Extreme 32GB CF for my 7D.  I received the "Card cannot be accessed. Reinsert/change the card or format card with camera" message.  I formatted the card after receiving the message the first time before my son's baseball game and took around 200 pictures and all seemed fine.  When turning the camera on for the second game, I received the same error message!  From what I have read, I'll loose all the images if I reformat the card again.  My overall question is, am I doing something wrong, is it a bad card or......

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Peter
Authority
Authority

Are the pins in the camera okey or is one broken?

Which firmware are you using?

Are you able to download the images into the computer via a card reader? If not, you can try using PhotoRec to recover the images. PhotoRec is even able to recover formated images as long as you don't low level format the card (not able in Canon 7D and with compact flash, only XX0D, 60D, 70D, 6D etc because of SD cards).

All pins within the camera seem fine. I took it to an authorized dealer yesterday and they indicated the same and they were unable to down load any images/files via a card reader. My concern is not only recovering the photos but also the fact that the card/camera seemed to work fine for a while and then the message reappeared. I am wondering if this is an issues with a bad card especially since this happened twice in 24 hrs.

"I am wondering if this is an issues with a bad card especially since this happened twice in 24 hrs."

Yes it is. Get a brand new, high quality CF card from a reputable store. You can try all the "fixes" on the card you have but from now on it is a no-go. Don't use it any more at all. Smiley Sad

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BTW, if you are not a video shooter, don't waste money or buy such large CF cards. Several smaller ones are a whole lot safer. Say four 8 GB because that way you can change them out often.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

KaraBoo0
Apprentice

From your description, we also could not know whether this memory card is seriously damaged. Simply attach it to your PC and check whether it could be recognized well there.

If it could be read well there, your drive may not be failed and check whether your camera has got some errors.

If it only cannot be accessed there for some not formatted error, RAW file system error and the likes, simply judge whether your left card data is important for you. If it is really useful in the near future, simply use data recovery software to see whether your stuffs could be restored back like:

http://www.icare-recovery.com/faq/memory-card-not-formatted-error.html

But, if it even cannot be detected there, it must fail and cannot be used again. Try to purchase another one for future use.

Good luck!

@RachelGomez123 wrote:

Ways to Fix SD Card Access Denied Error-

1 Recover Data from Inaccessible SD Card.
2 Gain Permission to Inaccessible SD Card.
3 Run CHKDSK to Repair the Inaccessible SD Card.
4 Format the Inaccessible SD Card.

This may help you,

Rachel Gomez

1. It’s a CF card. 

2. 8+ year old post. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements