cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon speaks of a "sweet spot" at 20 mpx sensor on its R6. Where can I see the results of that?

bravio
Contributor

I have read that Canon speaks of a "Sweet spot" in sensors at 20 mpx.   Can anyone defend that statement with a discussion or with photo to show it?  I am considering the R6 but wonder about the reducted Mpx of the sensor when the R5 has more.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I don't know if Canon presented similar informantion relative to the R6, but here is what they said about the 1D X Mark III:

Screenshot 2020-09-16 141317.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I don't know if Canon presented similar informantion relative to the R6, but here is what they said about the 1D X Mark III:

Screenshot 2020-09-16 141317.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hey, I had not seen that article about the 1D.   It does make sense that saving a huge file does take more time.  It just alarmed me that the R5 has much larger pixels than the newer R6.  I do see why the print media doesn't need 50mpx.  So it is now just a decision.   I certainly appreciate your providing the article because that does address my question fully.  Have a nice day!

The article posted by John makes it clear that a high MP count isn't always better.  Either needing unusually large prints where stitching is impractical or wanting the ability to severely crop (ASSUMING the lens resolution supports this high level of cropping without IQ loss) are the primary reasons why a high megapixel count can be better.

I primarily shoot sports, often under poor lighting, and high ISO performance is important to me so a 20MP sensor with its larger individual photosites is usually my preference.  And I shot a lot of sports with the 8.2 MP 1D Mark II and it produces very nice prints.  I do have a 5DS R also for those occasions where I want a higher MP count but I am pretty sure I will never wear out the 5DS shutter assembly because it doesn't get a lot of use compared to my 1DX II and 1DX III. 

I find it humorous when phone camera makers tout their extremely high MP count but have toy like lens material and construction.  Ultimately it is being able to capture a high quality image under typical shooting conditions that matters the most and that should drive your choice of gear.  As a retired marketing prof I well understand the power of "buzz specs" in advertising but those sorts of specs often don't translate well into individual customer benefits.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements