cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon should jump into the camera phone business.

sarashoots
Apprentice

Canon should invest in making a camera phone. I'd buy it. Currently I have the iphone. It's just ok. I think Canon could do it better.  The phone side could be simple, and then the camera would be amazing!
If they aren't in the phone business then they need to partner with a phone business to produce the best there is.

8 REPLIES 8

Ray-uk
Whiz

If Canon made a camera phone they would suffer the same physical restrictions as current camera phones, that of extremely small sensor, lack of space to fit a decent lens etc. and would have to try to overcome the limitations by using clever software as every other camera phone does. It just isn't possible to fit a decent high spec camera in to the dimensions of a phone.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I think Canon could do it better."

Perhaps but can you imagine running competition against Apple and Samsung at this late juncture?  Not an enviable challenge for any johnny come lately to the party.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

And the great majority of consumers are completely happy with the photo limitations that come from a small sensor and tiny lens just as they are happy listening to compresed audio files nearly bereft of dynamic range through crummy little earbuds so the market is going to be fairly small.  Most consumers will see the listed spec of a very high MP count or multiple lens built in and never question the actual quality of the image. 

At times I have had my iPhone but no camera and tried to capture an image of a pet or something else temporarily in an interesting pose but by the time the camera decides it has focused and takes the photo, the pose has passed.  It reminds me why when I need a camera I use a "real" camera 🙂   Smartphone cameras do fine for simple non demanding task such as for social media sharing but most owners either don't care or don't realize the lack of quality that results from trying to stretch the limits of a tiny lens and sensor. 

It is sort of fun to watch people at high school night football games with their phones out taking photos of fast moving plays from the stands.  Because I see some of them doing it over and over they either like the results or are eternally optimistic that the next will be the good one but a lot of those games are under lighting conditions that push the capabilities of a 1DX II and 300 2.8 located on the sidelines. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

They should partner with either of those companies. I'd switch companies to have a Canon.

@sarashoots wrote:

They should partner with either of those companies. I'd switch companies to have a Canon.

Just print yourself a Canon logo and stick it over the makers name on your current phone because that is about all you would be getting.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@sarashoots wrote:

Canon should invest in making a camera phone. I'd buy it. Currently I have the iphone. It's just ok. I think Canon could do it better.  The phone side could be simple, and then the camera would be amazing!
If they aren't in the phone business then they need to partner with a phone business to produce the best there is.

Microsoft tried to get into the mobile phone business with Windows Phone..  It never really took off as hoped.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

altco
Contributor

It’s not like Canon wouldn’t put a tiny-tiny sensor in a product like a consumer camcorder, where the tiny 1/3’’ and smaller is the name of the game. In my opinion, Canon shouldn’t be anywhere near the phone market, because such cameras cannot be crippled enough to keep with the canon, so to speak

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Microsoft tried it with Windows Phone, and failed to break through. It was a good product, which was fully integrated with Windows. I doubt anyone else could break through at this late date.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements