cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon's face detection system

BMG
Apprentice

In the process of documentary/news photography I had had to following and photoraphy people who ccome out of a building and walk directly to a waiting vehicle. I was wondering if anyone in the situation have used the face detection system to keep focus on the person walking? I almost never use this feature unless I am recording video when the individual is walking. Knowing that too many faces could be an issue I was just wondering if anyone has tried this?

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

This is going to depend on several factors.  Motion, lighting, the lens, and number of people.  A camera with face detection will do a pretty good job in most situations, but it is possible to fool it if you have a large number of people moving in entourage fashion as a group. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you Rick, For the reasons you have listed I have been hesitaint to use this setting as I suggested. I was just wondering if anyone had tried this and tge results? 

You're welcome.  You should definitely try the feature in some mock scenarios to see how well it peforms.  People coming off a bus or subway.  People coming out of an elevator. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements