cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon rumor

John_SD
Whiz

The various tech and rumor sites are stating that their Canon sources are indicating that Canon may unveil an entry-level full-frame mirrorless, the EOS R, as early as September 5, which would be in time for Photokina later in the month.

This one is specced similarly to the enthusiast-level Nikon Z6. And the cost would be roughtly the same at around $1999. I believe the 6D II was priced at $1999 upon its release. But what is really interesting, is that according to the Canon source, the new EOS R will be able to accommodate EF lenses without an adapter. All of this is rumor, but I hope it is true. 

The Canon full-frame mirrorless flagship, to be released a couple of months later, is to compete with the pro-level Nikon Z7.

See Canon Rumors, TechRadar, PetaPixel, etc. 

31 REPLIES 31

John SD wrote...

"Those are poor reasons to stick with what will become dead tech.

Unless I were quite elderly and already had a fortune tied up in DSLRs and its lenses, I would be thinking not of batteries, but of the need to unload my existing DSLR gear while I can. Virtually all authorites are stating that DSLRs are not the way to spend your gear money now. Their resale value will be abysmal, and sooner rather than later. Of course, that won't matter if you plan to stick with DSLRs for the remainder of your life. But the writing is on the wall and it couldn't be more clear. DSLRs are soon to be a thing of the past and mirrorless is the future, for pro and enthusiast alike. Sure, there are guys who still shoot film. So what? The world has moved on and they haven't."

________________________________________________________________________________________

If you are worried about resale value you had better unload anything below the pro-level soon because the great majority of people are fully satisfied with the images they get from their smartphones and other gadgets and going to a lighter weight mirrorless design isn't going to bring back the masses. I have hiked extensively for many years and I can easily recall the time that the majority of people carried a decent camera and often it was a SLR; now that images can easily be captured with devices they already own AND always have with them most don't bother.  Certainly a "real" camera and lens does a better job but Joe average consumer doesn't really care for the same reason that the masses are quite happy listening to highly compressed MP3 files through often abysmal ear buds.  A mediocre image works just fine for their social media interests.

Very few cameras hold any significant value over time because technology and tastes change too rapidly.  The first generation mirrorless truly will have very poor resale value because the greatest changes and advances will occur within the first few generations. I still have a 1D Mark II series body I bought in 2005 and it wasn't worth trading in or selling because of the low value.  It still gets used some and a friend will be borrowing it in a few weeks to capture his son's USMC graduation.

For me changing to mirrorless now would be a huge disadvantage even if I didn't mind dumping a group of L series lenses.  There is nothing mirrorless out there that provides the performance of the current 1 series body and the very poor battery life of a mirrorless with its equivalent of constant live view mode would be a disaster for those of us who shoot long sports events.  The slight weight reduction of a current mirrorless is offset by its power consumption and need for spare batteries.  And for my most used L series telephoto primes and zooms the 1 series body is the perfect balance.

At the point that mirrorless provides real benefits for what I do without fatal drawbacks then I will happily make the transition but I will never chase technology simply for the sake of technology.  And for full disclosure my "fun car" is a highly impractical 2016 Corvette Z06 with the latest version of the OHV pushrod small block Chevy V8 that debuted in the 1950s and this dated technology still embarasses the road course times of European rivals costing over twice as much.  It has techonlogy that is well fitted to its purposes and owner demands just like the Canon 1 series DSLR.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

amfoto1
Authority

"It's no longer a rumor!"

Still not interested.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Well, I am not seeing any reason to buy into this first generation of the EOS R. The lack of a physical toggle/joystick, to move the AF point, just about rules-out my wanting an R. I am not opposed to touch-screens, but in cool/cold weather, my skinny, aging hands need gloves, and because I am left-eye-dominant, my nose is more likely to touch the LCDs of some cameras.

To make this worse, the R has this, well, thing, with limited usefulness, that my thumb might mistake for a toggle/joystick. I reckon I could gaff-tape this, uh, thing, to prevent mistaking it for a toggle/joystick, but better to totally ignore the R, as it would be a step-downward/backward from my 5D IV, 5Ds R, 7D II, and 1Ds III cameras.

The lack of capability to use the AF-assist lamp on external Speedlites is also vexing. Some have said that no mirror-less camera is capable of this. 

Perhaps a more pro-oriented R will be introduced. I hope the 5D and 1D series remain alive, until R system has a chance to mature quite a bit more.

@RexGig wrote:

Well, I am not seeing any reason to buy into this first generation of the EOS R. The lack of a physical toggle/joystick, to move the AF point, just about rules-out my wanting an R. I am not opposed to touch-screens, but in cool/cold weather, my skinny, aging hands need gloves, and because I am left-eye-dominant, my nose is more likely to touch the LCDs of some cameras.

I agree with you. In some ways, Nikon's Z6 might be the preferred choice here, as it does feature both a joystick as well as in-body image stabalization. The EOS R offers neither. The lack of these two features will turn a lot of potential buyers off. 

However, the R has the multi-angle LCD screen that can be oriented to the side, wich is better. The Z6 merely tilts up and down. So like all things camera-related, trade-offs must be considered and evaluated. An interesting time to be making a move into full frame mirrorless. 

@John_SD wrote:

@RexGig wrote:

I agree with you. In some ways, Nikon's Z6 might be the preferred choice here, as it does feature both a joystick as well as in-body image stabalization. The EOS R offers neither. The lack of these two features will turn a lot of potential buyers off. 

However, the R has the multi-angle LCD screen that can be oriented to the side, wich is better. The Z6 merely tilts up and down. So like all things camera-related, trade-offs must be considered and evaluated. An interesting time to be making a move into full frame mirrorless. 

Personally, I do not understand all of the debate over lacking IBIS.  Canon’s lens based IS system works, and it works very well.  What advantage do you gain?  What happens when the both the lens and the body have IS, which one takes priority?  Or, do the camera IS and lens IS get into a tug of war?  Wouldn’t the body have to be able to control the lens IS, or least be able to shut it off.

Seeing how some high end Canon  bodies are able to disable the IS in some high end lenses, when the combo is mounted on a tripod, it would not surprise me if the camera body could become capable of fully controlling the IS in a lens.  Why not?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Oddly, Canon seems to be the only manufacturer of full-frame mirrorless that doesn't offer IBIS. This is doubly wierd considering the fact that two of their new RF-mount lenses don't have IS. Now, if you're shooting on a gimbal or you are using an IS lens, it probably won't matter, but this is a bad decision on Canon's part. The R should have come with IBIS. As it is, Nikon has already apologized that they wont be able to fill all the pre-orders that immediately came in on the Z6. I doubt Canon will have that problem. I still have high hopes for Canon, but the company should be more competitive. Also, the R is about $250 more than the Nikon Z6. As I am not invested in either brand as far as mirrorless is concerned, I will wait and see who really rises to the top in the field. 

@John_SD wrote:

Oddly, Canon seems to be the only manufacturer of full-frame mirrorless that doesn't offer IBIS. This is doubly wierd considering the fact that two of their new RF-mount lenses don't have IS. Now, if you're shooting on a gimbal or you are using an IS lens, it probably won't matter, but this is a bad decision on Canon's part. The R should have come with IBIS. As it is, Nikon has already apologized that they wont be able to fill all the pre-orders that immediately came in on the Z6. I doubt Canon will have that problem. I still have high hopes for Canon, but the company should be more competitive. Also, the R is about $250 more than the Nikon Z6. As I am not invested in either brand as far as mirrorless is concerned, I will wait and see who really rises to the top in the field. 

"Wait and see" is the right answer. It's far too early to make these judgements. And that includes whether Nikon's IBIS is better than Canon's ILIS. Or even whether it doesn't really matter.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@John_SD wrote:

Oddly, Canon seems to be the only manufacturer of full-frame mirrorless that doesn't offer IBIS. This is doubly wierd considering the fact that two of their new RF-mount lenses don't have IS. Now, if you're shooting on a gimbal or you are using an IS lens, it probably won't matter, but this is a bad decision on Canon's part. The R should have come with IBIS.

As it is, Nikon has already apologized that they wont be able to fill all the pre-orders that immediately came in on the Z6. I doubt Canon will have that problem. I still have high hopes for Canon, but the company should be more competitive. Also, the R is about $250 more than the Nikon Z6. As I am not invested in either brand as far as mirrorless is concerned, I will wait and see who really rises to the top in the field. 

Nothing that you have stated here is factual, except for the observation that the Canon R does not have in-camera IS.  [...and I would add Nikon’s apology...]

You really do not need IS on a wide angle lens, not unless you focusing at close to the MFD.  You really would not want IS on a lens with a VERY wide aperture, because it could easily alter your critical focus point and DOF.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@John_SD wrote:

Oddly, Canon seems to be the only manufacturer of full-frame mirrorless that doesn't offer IBIS. This is doubly wierd considering the fact that two of their new RF-mount lenses don't have IS. Now, if you're shooting on a gimbal or you are using an IS lens, it probably won't matter, but this is a bad decision on Canon's part. The R should have come with IBIS.

As it is, Nikon has already apologized that they wont be able to fill all the pre-orders that immediately came in on the Z6. I doubt Canon will have that problem. I still have high hopes for Canon, but the company should be more competitive. Also, the R is about $250 more than the Nikon Z6. As I am not invested in either brand as far as mirrorless is concerned, I will wait and see who really rises to the top in the field. 

Nothing that you have stated here is factual, except for the observation that the Canon R does not have in-camera IS.  [...and I would add Nikon’s apology...]

You really do not need IS on a wide angle lens, not unless you focusing at close to the MFD.  You really would not want IS on a lens with a VERY wide aperture, because it could easily alter your critical focus point and DOF.

True, I stated that the R is about $250 more than the Nikon Z6. That is incorrect. The retail gap is actually $300. There, fixed it for you. 

Announcements