cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon rumor

John_SD
Whiz

The various tech and rumor sites are stating that their Canon sources are indicating that Canon may unveil an entry-level full-frame mirrorless, the EOS R, as early as September 5, which would be in time for Photokina later in the month.

This one is specced similarly to the enthusiast-level Nikon Z6. And the cost would be roughtly the same at around $1999. I believe the 6D II was priced at $1999 upon its release. But what is really interesting, is that according to the Canon source, the new EOS R will be able to accommodate EF lenses without an adapter. All of this is rumor, but I hope it is true. 

The Canon full-frame mirrorless flagship, to be released a couple of months later, is to compete with the pro-level Nikon Z7.

See Canon Rumors, TechRadar, PetaPixel, etc. 

31 REPLIES 31

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"As for film, it is a vestiage of bygone times, despite knowing a few guys who shoot a roll now and then."

Film has moved to the vestige of 'art'.

Canon has already ditched a lens mounting system once.  Will they do it again?  Smiley Frustrated

It would seem that Canon may have dropped the EF-M mount, and perhaps the entire M Series.  There is no compatibility between EF-M and EF-R mounts.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

It would seem that Canon may have dropped the EF-M mount, and perhaps the entire M Series.  There is no compatibility between EF-M and EF-R mounts.

I don't think so...  I think the M series and the new R series cameras are aimed at two very different markets.   It seems to me that Canon is continuing to support the M series considering it has just released a new EF-M 32mm F1.4 STM lens, ( see https://www.dpreview.com/news/0463137161/new-32mm-f1-4-stm-joins-canon-s-ef-m-lens-collection ).  The timing, hard on the heels of the announcement of the new RF series of lenses suggests they are sending strong signals for the support of the M series and strong hints are that they are seeking to release an M5 MkII in the not too distant future.

The thing is that there are adaptors for the  EF and EF-S lenses to R mount, and for the EF and EF-S lenses to M mount, so Canon have made sure that both systems can access the huge amount of glass out there in the market.  The fact that there is no direct adaptor between the M mount and the R mount (in fact there is no R lens to EF mount either) is likely because of the physics and because they see the markets as completely divergent.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

“I don't think so...  I think the M series and the new R series cameras are aimed at two very different markets.   It seems to me that Canon is continuing to support the M series considering it has just released a new EF-M 32mm F1.4 STM lens, ”

Yes, I have heard about the new lens.  

They have announced the new EF-M lens.  I have the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM lens, and it is a great lens.  It has been the only fast lens made or the EF-M mount.  It has an equivalent focal length of 35mm.  I started a thread in the “Share YOur Photos” forum for M Series bodies.

The new lens looks promising.  It is a EF-M design that is long overdue.  If the 22mm is any indicator, then this lens is going to be very sharp, too.  Sometimes, I like to sightsee with a 35mm or a 50mm lens on a full frame body.  I bought the M3 so that I do not look like Joe The Pro Photographer, so I can travel light and still get high quality images.

But, if mirrorless is the future, then releasing a new mirrorless mount that is not compatible with the existing one does not make a lot of sense to me.  The existing full frame lenses can mount on APS-C bodies.  This design trend seems to have been dropped.  

Without some sort of adapter, the new full frame mount for full frame mirrorless bodies can not be mounted on the APS-C mirrorless bodies, and vice versa.  That does not seem like good marketing, not unless one of the mounts is going to be retired soon. 

Seeing how the new full frame mirrorless body can use an EF-S lens in crop mode, this may not bode will for the future of the EF-M mount.  I have not compared the focusing distances between the two mirrorless mounts.  If there was an adapter for EF-M lenses, I would have expected it to have been announced with the camera body.

I would guess that EF-M lenses are designed for the short mount-to-sensor distance of the M bodies. An adapter would put them too far away from the sensor of the R series without optics.

This is not a problem for EF and EF-s lenses since the adapter takes up the space the mirror box used to.

@Waddizzle wrote:
I bought the M3 so that I do not look like Joe The Pro Photographer, so I can travel light and still get high quality images.

But, if mirrorless is the future, then releasing a new mirrorless mount that is not compatible with the existing one does not make a lot of sense to me.  The existing full frame lenses can mount on APS-C bodies.  This design trend seems to have been dropped.  

Without some sort of adapter, the new full frame mount for full frame mirrorless bodies can not be mounted on the APS-C mirrorless bodies, and vice versa.  That does not seem like good marketing, not unless one of the mounts is going to be retired soon. 

Seeing how the new full frame mirrorless body can use an EF-S lens in crop mode, this may not bode will for the future of the EF-M mount.  I have not compared the focusing distances between the two mirrorless mounts.  If there was an adapter for EF-M lenses, I would have expected it to have been announced with the camera body.

I, like you it seems, got into the M series because of their small size.  For me it was mostly because I could barely walk and the lighter gear gave me some ability to go and take photos.  I also agree it is far less conspicuous than a large DSLR with a white lens on it! Smiley Wink

The market I see for the M series is for those people who are currently happy with the Rebel (xxxd) and possibly XXD bodies and lenses, and for those who want an intercheagable lens system and are migrating from perhaps a cell phone.  It also sweeps up what is left of the compact point and shoot market that has been massacred by mobiles.  Many of those will be very happy with what they have got and stay with the M system.

Putting the adaptor on the M mount gives some scope for attaching better lenses but for me there is no benefit as it would completely unbalance the camera, so unless they come up with some amazing improvements in EF-M lens I will always want a larger body camera... and that takes us to the current DSLR and new MILC cameras.

So I can take my EF and EF-S lenses with me for a DSLR and for the MILC (with adaptor), so I have not lost too much and can improve my body tech.  I think we will see BOTH DSLRs and FF MILCs  for a while, and then as the tech improves the MILC will dominate... but not for a wee while yet. Smiley Very Happy

Both Nikon and Canon have produced good FF MILCs but not top end ones.  LIke several commentators I think they have put their toes in the water rather than drive a stake into the ground. These bodes do not compete with their very top end ones (Nikon perhaps a bit more) but in Canon's case I see the new body as a MILC version of the 6DII+

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

“Putting the adaptor on the M mount gives some scope for attaching better lenses but for me there is no benefit as it would completely unbalance the camera, so unless they come up with some amazing improvements in EF-M lens I will always want a larger body camera... and that takes us to the current DSLR and new MILC cameras.“

Exactly.  That is exactly why I think the life cycle of the EF-M will end before any of the others.  Maybe the M-Series will replace the Rebel line, and the EF-S family will be retired, instead of the EF-M.  Supporting four mounts is too many, especially when you are competing with smart phones and tablets.

@Waddizzle wrote:
Maybe the M-Series will replace the Rebel line, and the EF-S family will be retired, instead of the EF-M.  Supporting four mounts is too many, especially when you are competing with smart phones and tablets.

I tend to agree with this.  I suspect that the EF-S line of lenses is going to be discontinued and Canon may well not release any XXXD or even XXD models after the EOS 90D.  I think it is possible we may see a generation or two of XD bodies (rumour has an EOS7DIII coming for example), before the MILC FF bodies (capable of being cropped) take over that line.   I think the future of what was crop sensor bodies will go with the EF-M mount and the M series bodies, but we shall have to wait and see...

cheers, TREVOR

I won't link but Ken Rockwell got to use one and has a good review on his site.

Highlights:

Shutter count is shown in the battery info screen. 8^P

New Fv mode, just like P, but lets you lock down various parameters.

Top LCD is dot-matrix.

AF over the whole sensor

The viewfinder shows the results of lens corrections and optimizer.

@kvbarkley wrote:

I won't link but Ken Rockwell got to use one and has a good review on his site.

Highlights:

Shutter count is shown in the battery info screen. 8^P

New Fv mode, just like P, but lets you lock down various parameters.

Top LCD is dot-matrix.

AF over the whole sensor

The viewfinder shows the results of lens corrections and optimizer.

It also has a similar type of in-body image stabilization as the 6D Mark II, which only works in video mode.

I am willing to bet anyone lunch that it has focus peaking when you are shooting stills using Live View mode

@John_SD wrote:

@amfoto1 wrote:

Frankly, for my purposes I'll need to stick with my DSLRs for the foreseeable future, in large part due to the 2500+ shots per charge I get with a pair of LP-E6N. Mirrorless have to power up a lot more stuff contiuously while in use, so none are anywhere near as power-efficient as DSLRs.

Even so, I can hardly wait until tomorrow to learn more about the new camera!

Those are poor reasons to stick with what will become dead tech.

Unless I were quite elderly and already had a fortune tied up in DSLRs and its lenses, I would be thinking not of batteries, but of the need to unload my existing DSLR gear while I can. Virtually all authorites are stating that DSLRs are not the way to spend your gear money now. Their resale value will be abysmal, and sooner rather than later. Of course, that won't matter if you plan to stick with DSLRs for the remainder of your life. But the writing is on the wall and it couldn't be more clear. DSLRs are soon to be a thing of the past and mirrorless is the future, for pro and enthusiast alike. Sure, there are guys who still shoot film. So what? The world has moved on and they haven't.

I'm quite elderly and already have a fortune tied up in DSLRs and their lenses. So for me to question your conclusion may be a little too obvious.

But I will anyway, because to me you seem to be missing most of the point. Few, if any, of the regulars in this forum doubt that the future of professional and serious amateur photography rests with mirrorless technology. But to jump from there to the conclusion that this new and unproven series of cameras is about to render all previous products obsolete is silly on its face. None of us have any experience with these new products, and our genuine hope that they will meet your optimistic expectations (and those of "virtually all authorities"?) is, at this point, merely wishful thinking. Maybe they will be wildly successful, but we don't know that yet. There is plenty of time to find that out before we undertake to jettison our current equipment.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements