cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I cannot wait for this Wi-Fi adapter gadget to come out.  Beginning at sometime this fall, all 7D Mark IIs ship with it.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/wifi-adapter-we1.shtml

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

diverhank
Authority

@Waddizzle wrote:

I cannot wait for this Wi-Fi adapter gadget to come out.  Beginning at sometime this fall, all 7D Mark IIs ship with it.

Are you saying it's going to be standard equipment with the 7DII (without having to pay extra)?  That is surprising...

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Waddizzle wrote:

Another nice mid-life-cycle upgrade for the 7D series.

I expect fairly reasonable pricing either from Canon or from white box sellers breaking up kits.

@TTMartin wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Another nice mid-life-cycle upgrade for the 7D series. ...

Only for the Mark II. The original 7D has no SD card slot.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

It would seem that it is only available for prosumer camera bodies with dual slots.  One slot for storage, and one for Wi-Fi.  It is just enought Wi-Fi to post photos to social media, or to the Connect thing-a-bob..  It is crippled just enough to not usurp the external Wi-Fi adapter.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

It would seem that it is only available for prosumer camera bodies with dual slots.  One slot for storage, and one for Wi-Fi.  It is just enought Wi-Fi to post photos to social media, or to the Connect thing-a-bob..  It is crippled just enough to not usurp the external Wi-Fi adapter.

Well, the 5D3 is also a 2-slot camera, but not a peep has been said about making the WiFi adapter available for it. Which doesn't bother me personally; I'm indifferent to WiFi on cameras.

The 6D may be a 2-slot camera as well, but I think it has built-in WiFi.

Bob

"Well, the 5D3 is also a 2-slot camera, but not a peep has been said about making the WiFi adapter available for it. Which doesn't bother me personally; I'm indifferent to WiFi on cameras.

The 6D may be a 2-slot camera as well, but I think it has built-in WiFi."

The 6D has just one card slot. It's a fairly basic camera, comparable to a #0D camera body.  It has GPS and Wi-Fi, built in.

As for the 5D3, I would venture that the 5D3 design team is long broken up by now.   In fact, the camera just may be out of production by now, if not in the very near future.  There's probably no one available to do a firmware rewrite for a mere feature upgrade.

@Waddizzle wrote:

"Well, the 5D3 is also a 2-slot camera, but not a peep has been said about making the WiFi adapter available for it. Which doesn't bother me personally; I'm indifferent to WiFi on cameras.

The 6D has just one card slot. It's a fairly basic camera, comparable to a #0D camera body.  It has GPS and Wi-Fi, built in.

As for the 5D3, I would venture that the 5D3 design team is long broken up by now.   In fact, the camera just may be out of production by now, if not in the very near future.  There's probably no one available to do a firmware rewrite for a mere feature upgrade.

The 5D3 is still listed on Canon's Web site; and given the current $1000 price differential, I'd expect it to continue to sell well for a while. Maybe not to leading-edge pros, but to people like you and me.

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

The 5D3 is still listed on Canon's Web site; and given the current $1000 price differential, I'd expect it to continue to sell well for a while. Maybe not to leading-edge pros, but to people like you and me.

I agree.  I expect it to continue to sell, too, until current inventories expire.  I'm just saying that it is quite likely no longer in production. 

In addition, whatever design team that they had assembled for the 5D3, has most likely long been broken up.  The team designed and released a product.  Corrected any glaring firmware bugs.  What's left for them to do?  In fact, many members of the 5D3 team were most likely re-assigned to be part of the 5D4 design team.

So, why is there apparently a 7D2 design team still assembled?  Good question.  But, I think it might suggest something about how soon we might see a 7D3, which is perhaps not very soon.

B from B,

"I'd expect it to continue to sell well for a while..."

The last 5D Mk III has already been made.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

B from B,

"I'd expect it to continue to sell well for a while..."

The last 5D Mk III has already been made.

That assertion, if true, is relevant only in conjunction with an estimate of how many 5D3's currently remain unsold.

Bob
Announcements