cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark III Canon Warranty for non authorized dealer purchase

kronie
Apprentice

Does Canon honor the USA warraties if its purchased from a non authorised dealer?

If I buy a new 5D MKIII from a non authorized dealer do I have a Canon 12 month warranty or not?

13 REPLIES 13

Michaeldigital
Contributor

My previous experiences with Canon have been as long as you can supply a copy of the original invoice showing purchase date, item and serial number and purchase price they will honor the warranty. I do not know if this is still the case. I think an answer from someone at Canon would provide a more accurate up to date answer. I have also fould Canon repair service to be more than fair. 

Samsen
Enthusiast

I would say its a bit risky.

Yes the person at the main desk can make a decision on how to honor or not that warranty and for the minute chance that warranty can be denied, I won't risk buying from a non authorized seller. Usually the price difference is not that much so have a piece of mind and buy from authorized dealer. At least I prefer this way and buying that piece of mind, does make a difference for me.

BTW frequently authorized deals run a great deal on each model (Specially in this season) and you can even buy cheaper than non authorized dealer or with better kit package if you are not in hurry and know how to shop.

Canon warranties are only good for the original buyer. Non authorized dealers are considered the original buyer, therefore, if you buy from them, the Canon warranty is no good, since the non authorized dealer could remove the canon parts and replace them with inferior ones. However, when you purchase a factory refurbished Canon product online at Amazon, Ebay, Best Buy, etc., they come with a new manufacturers warranty. Therefore, if you are are looking to save serious money on electronic products, it is safer to buy factory certified refurbished. They look and perform like new, plus they are warrantied against defect.

[Removed 3rd party link per forum community guidelines]

@tbradleyerwin wrote:

Canon warranties are only good for the original buyer. Non authorized dealers are considered the original buyer, therefore, if you buy from them, the Canon warranty is no good, since the non authorized dealer could remove the canon parts and replace them with inferior ones. However, when you purchase a factory refurbished Canon product online at Amazon, Ebay, Best Buy, etc., they come with a new manufacturers warranty. Therefore, if you are are looking to save serious money on electronic products, it is safer to buy factory certified refurbished. They look and perform like new, plus they are warrantied against defect.

[Removed 3rd party link per forum community guidelines]

That makes no sense. Given your explanation, isn't a person (not an authorized dealer) selling a Canon refurbished product on Ebay considered the "original buyer"? If not, why not?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

RobertTheFat wrote:  "That makes no sense. Given your explanation, isn't a person (not an authorized dealer) selling a Canon refurbished product on Ebay considered the "original buyer"? If not, why not?"

Unless Canon is selling refurbished products through their authorized dealer network then those products are not going to come with the official warranty.  They may sell those products elsewhere but the only place I have seen Canon refurb products offered is on the Canon website.

There probably are Canon authorized dealers with an ebay storefront just as some dealers also maintain a presence on Amazon.  So just because you are buying a new Canon product via Amazon or Ebay it doesn't mean you aren't dealing with a Canon authorized dealer but check carefully and make sure that what is offered was intended for original sale in your home country instead of being a gray market product.

List of Canon USA authorized dealers via the Canon website: http://downloads.canon.com/dealer/canon-ad-08-10-18.pdf

I wouldn't risk buying a new product from an unauthorized dealer and then counting on Canon to provide warranty service.  Their warranty terms specifically allow them not to honor the warranty under these conditions so you are counting on the goodwill of Canon if something happens after purchase. The businesses who bear the expense of meeting the standards (practices, warranty, support) to be an authorized Canon dealer certainly don't appreciate the free riding that occurs when Canon provides this service to customers of non-authorized dealers so a guarantee of warranty service where it is specifically excluded in the printed warranty information isn't something I would count on for an expensive purchase.

Canon has a lot of authorized dealers and buying from one ensures that you are getting a product that comes with a full warranty and all of the genuine Canon accessories and peripherals that Canon intended. I have no idea if the practice still continues but a favorite years ago of the unauthorized dealers was to strip included accessories from the original pack and either leave them out entirely or replace them with third party alternatives; they would then sell the original Canon items separately.  

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I agree with Robert’s observation.  A reseller of “factory refurbished” gear on eBay or Amazon can make any claim they want, but that does not mean it is true.  I discourage people from buying “big ticket” items through sites like those, because you really do not know who you are dealing with in most cases.

Besides, Canon has their own “Refurbished” section in the online store.  It is the only source that I am aware of that offers a factory backed, one year warranty.  I have seen a couple of the top authorized US dealers selling “factory refurbished” gear in their Used departments, but they only offfer the same warranty as they would for their other used gear.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Does Canon honor the USA warraties if its purchased from a non authorised dealer?"

Simple answer is, no.  The authorized dealers here are Canon USA.  Canon USA is the importer so the non-authorized dealers are not getting the gear from Canon USA. Canon USA has certain rules that non-authorized dealers have not agreed to, nor do they have to.

There is no point or benefit buying a product from a non-authorized dealer unless it is used. Canon's customer service is exceptional but they are not obligated to repair non-authorized gear even if you pay for the service. They usually do. There is another large camera company we all know that won't repair gear if it is not authorized USA even, even if you do pay for it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

MrJCBeau
Apprentice

I have just had this problem. On Nov-8-2022 I contacted Canon about a printer problem I was having.

I contacted Canon support and they had me try a number of things to correct the problem. After about an hour they told me they couldn’t fix the printer over the phone. They said they would send me a new printer. They said the MX922 was no longer available so they would send me an updated model of the MX922. They said there would be no cost to me and they would include a free return shipping label to be used to send my old printer back to Canon.

Everything was fine till they checked my receipt and discovered that I purchased the printer from ebay, and told me ebay was not an authorized Canon distributor and therefore there was no warranty.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

This is tacked on to an old post, but the principles stated are still true.  No product is supported if it did not come from an authorized dealer.
When you say that you are buying "a new 5D MKIII" do you literally mean that or a refurbished unit.  That camera model is about 11 years old!  I would be totally amazed if there was a new one available, and if it was never used I would want a good explanation of why not.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements