cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pricing Policy

Stoneysnapper
Contributor

As a UK Customer who has invested heavily in Canon after I moved from Olympus 2 years ago I find Canon's Pricing policy to irk me somewhat. A good example is the recent release of the 24-70 F4L IS and the 35mm F2.

35mm F2.0 IS  Priced at $849 / £799 / 849Euros 
24-70 F4.0L IS Priced at $1499 / £1499 / 1449Euros

On the basis of the above the UK customer is well and truly being hard done by. I know exchange rates vary and there is VAT @20% in the UK included and that in the US sales tax is added (not sure if it is all States) but in Texas for example I think it is about 6% although it can vary slightly. 

So assuming I buy in Texas and we take the current exchange rate for the £ to the $ of 1.55 then the equivalent price for the 35mm should be £696 i.e some £100 cheaper compared to the $ equivalent and the 24-70 should be £1230 i.e. some £260 cheaper. If say the £ was Canon's base price US Customers should be paying $1050 ($200 increase) for the 35mm and for the 24-70 some $1970 ($470 increase). Note I deducted the UK vat from those prices and added back 6% sales tax. I could have used New Yorks typical 10% if I had wanted to.

It would be good if someone from Canon could answer this question and give a rational response as to why their British Customers pay more. There's little point in this forum if Canon are not going to particiapte in fair questioning of their products or policies so hopefully some one will respond. Thanks in advance, there may be a perfectly good explanation I am not seeing.

14 REPLIES 14

GlynH
Contributor
As the man says...I think it's disgusting that here in the UK most things are priced far above what our American cousins pay for the same gear.

I think it is even worse with software - especially downloaded software because then the argument about shipping, transport etc. goes out of the window.

The term 'Rip Off Britain' was coined for good reason methinks!

-=Glyn=-

ratan
Enthusiast

You didn't know? Canon's pricing policy is geared towards high income enthusiasts and not towards pros and consumers. 

I like DSLRs and a Gear Whore.

Canon:
Canon EOS 1Dx, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM IS II, EF 200mm f/2.0L IS USM

Nikon:
Nikon D4, Nikon D800, Carl Zeiss Compact Prime CP.2 Super Speed 50mm T/1.5, Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II

It's about profit maximisation.

Guided by HO, but mostly local subsidiary control.  What the market will bear considering all the competitive forces operating.  If they can charge you an extra $100 because the circumstances in your local market make it possible, they will.

Simple - you would too.

Why is my icon a pig?????

Hi Khristo!  You should be able to choose from a variety of avatars by clicking "My Settings" at the top of the page, then choosing the "Avatar" tab.  Your current avatar will be displayed, and from there, you will be able to choose a new image from our collections, or from your Uploaded Images, if you have any.  We hope this helps!

Thanks Jessica,

I guess it was more about wondering why you would have a piggy as a default "avatar".

Some people could get offended. Cat Happy

Ummm.... Jessica (our moderator) replied about the pig icon question (which made me laugh), yet didn't address the main question and point of this post:  Canon's Pricing Policy.

This is merely an observation.  "I'll have to check into that pricing difference and get back to you" might have been nice to see.

I'm in the States and enjoy the price difference.  Why can't Britain enjoy it, too?

Nikon

...still no response?
Nikon

Khristo

Why is my icon a pig?????

Now that made me laugh!
Announcements