cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Powershot Zoom Monocular

image1maker
Contributor

I purchased two of these unique camera/monoculars to be give as Christmas gifts but discouvered that they don't come with a charging adapter, only a double ended usb 3.0 cable! I have tried every charger I own and cannot charge the devices. The instruction sheet recommends a Canon PD-Ei USB power adapter that the would gladly sell me fo $199.00! The power required to charge this device must be (9VDC/2A or more. Can anyone recommend a solution for less that $199.99?

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you are in nthe US, then you might try B&H online for the Canon Power Adapter.  It appears to be the same item that is compatible with other PowerShot devices.  It is also used by EOS R cameras for USB charging.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I had already identified the Canon "solution". A $200 adapter. Rediculous to pay that to make a product functional that cost $300! I found s better solution:

https://www.amazon.com/Charmast-Smallest-Portable-10400mah-Compatible/dp/B07L931FCY/ref=sr_1_4?crid=...

And it can charge or power the device while using in the field.

@image1maker wrote:

I had already identified the Canon "solution". A $200 adapter. Rediculous to pay that to make a product functional that cost $300! I found s better solution:

[ LINK DELETED ]

And it can charge or power the device while using in the field.

Did you check the asking price at B&H?  

Do not be too surprised if that item does not work with Canon gear.  There is a degree of intellgent communications that takes place between Apple and its' chargers.  No doubt, Canon does the same with the USB charger.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

According to the Canon product matrix, a USB C device with a 5 volt output at 1.5 amps is sufficient to charge it with the power turned off and with 3 amps capability it can power the product.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/binoculars/monocular/powershot-zo...

Rodger

monocular.jpg

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Charging 1.JPGNope! I have two of these Zoom Camera Monoculars and the ONLY way to charge them is with a battery pack or wall charger that has a USB 3.0 connector and 9VDC/2A output. 

This battery pack from Amazon works: 

Charmast Smallest 10000 USB C PD Quick Charge Portable Charger, Mini Small 10000mah Power Delivery QC Power Bank, Compact Phone External Battery Pack Chargers Compatible with iPhone, Samsung, Pixel

and this charger, also from Amazon:

Huntkey USB C Charger, 18W 9V/2A 5V/3A Power Adapter, PD3.0 Fast Type C Wall Chargers for Samsung Note10/S10/A8s/S/Note 9/S9/S9+/Note 8/S8/S8+, Pixel 3, iPad Pro 11" /12.9" (3 Gen)etc, 3.3ft C-C Cable

rc529
Apprentice
Taken from the product page, ONLY USB-C to USB-C cables are compatible for charging the Powershot Zoom. I was afraid it was a situation where I needed the included cable or needed to make a special power adapter purchase when my USB-A to USB-C fast charging adapter didn't charge it, but it specifically says on the product page that it is not compatible with USB-A to USB-C charging cables.

rjt06
Apprentice

I am a long time Canon user and this the first time I've been disappointed in a Canon purchase. Very disappointed. Not only can I not get it to charge but neither can I update the firmware. To ship something with such a unique charger without said charger is completely unacceptable. And it won't shoot in RAW either. I have not been able to use as hoped and would gladly return it but I'd had it too long before it discharged and I learned of the charging issue.

***DISCLAIMER*** I'm not a tech. This is not an official technical answer from Canon Support - this is just a helpful tidbit.

The charger should be a USB C PD charger. That stands for USB Power Delivery. (Look for that.) They are a bit more expensive than standard USB chargers because USB A chargers only put out 5 volts and maybe 10 watts, whereas USB C PD chargers can put out up to 20 volts and up to 100 watts - enough to charge a laptop.

Thanks.

Announcements