cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D OR Rebel T4i?

bjchitown
Contributor

I hve been taking pictures for about 30 years as a photo enthusiast. I currently own an EOS rebel 450 D, along with a 10-22 EF-S F 3.5/4.5 USM and a 70-200 EF Zoom. I  am going to Hawaii next month and have to make a decision as to what camera I will purchase. as an upgrade. I looked at the rebel 4Ti but I am also thinking about the canon 6D. I have never used a full frame before but I want to get more serious and think this could be an interesting option. I was going to get the lens kit of 24-105 EF.  I would appreciate suggestion from the other photographers out there. Thanks. Barb

30 REPLIES 30

One more thing, I meant to say I was looking at the 18-55 f/2.8. What is your opinion on that lens? Do you use one?

I've never used one but it gets good reviews for it's IQ but not the build quality.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=303&sort=7&cat=27&page=4

I've had the 17-40L for years and it's a decent lens but in my opinion overpriced. Right now I don't own any crop style lenses. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I am considering the 17-40 L, thanks for sending me the link to the review I read it.

@bjchitown wrote:

One more thing, I meant to say I was looking at the 18-55 f/2.8. What is your opinion on that lens? Do you use one?

You do mean 17-55  f/2.8 don't you?

Almost bought this lens when I was a crop only shooter.  Understand the IQ is excellent and that of an L lens but the build quality is good but a bit lacking.  Overall this lens and the15-85 are the two most recommended general purpose zooms for crop bodies.

15-85 f/3.5-5.6

-  a little better range

-  a little better build quality

-  slower variable aperture

17-55 f/2.8

- a little better IQ

- constant 2.8 aperture

Can go wrong with either.  Choose between range or constant wider aperture.

@bjchitown wrote:

Tell me what advanatages it would have over the 60D. I appreciate your input.

All I'm saying if you got a little time and are not pressed to replace your 450D right away, you might as well wait and see what this new 70D offers.  There are no firm specs published, everything is rumors and speculation at this point.  If fact it is unknown when it will even be announced.  Canon Rumours latest prediction for an announcement is July.

Two hopefuls for the 70D are a new processor and the return of AFMA to the xxD line.  Another positive is it will likely push the  price of the 60D even lower if you choose to go that route.

On the other hand, don't get caught up in the waiting-for-better-camera game too long.  If you can hold off another 6-8 weeks, it might pay off.

The more I think I know, the less I realize that I know.  This forum is great  in that other knowledgeable folks share information.  After thinking about all the answers I have received I think I will wait for the 70D and then make a decision between that and the 60D.

Next, I think the 17-40 might be a good choice for this trip and I will also consider the 24-105. Although I will go with another crop camera, I think I should not purchase any more EF-S lenses, in the event that I might purchase  a full frame camera, the lenses will still be useful.

Again thanks for your input.

@bjchitown wrote:

The more I think I know, the less I realize that I know.  This forum is great  in that other knowledgeable folks share information.  After thinking about all the answers I have received I think I will wait for the 70D and then make a decision between that and the 60D.

Next, I think the 17-40 might be a good choice for this trip and I will also consider the 24-105. Although I will go with another crop camera, I think I should not purchase any more EF-S lenses, in the event that I might purchase  a full frame camera, the lenses will still be useful.

Again thanks for your input.

One final comment, since you have the EF-S 10-22 and 70-200, the 24-105 would be a better fit than the 17-40.  The 24-105 also has IS where the 17-40 does not.  Both lens are f/4.

There are usually lots of used deals on 24-105s on ebay and CL if you want to go that route.

Agree with 7D5D & was going to make the same comment. The 24-105 L is a great lens whether used on a crop or FF.

Also note that although lenses are a better value long term vs newer bodies it's the high end lenses such as L's that hold their value, not the standard consumer grade lenses.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Is there more then one Canon 24-105 L IS f 4.0?

Nope, just the one version.  Not sure if Canon will ever release a ver II or not.  They do have 3 flavors of the 24-70: 

- 24-70 f/2.8 (discontinued)

- 24-70 f/2.8 II

- 24-70 f/4 IS

Announcements