cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 1 Year Warranty

BintuGomes
Apprentice

So I recently noticed my camera had some specs in the viewfinder so I sent it in to get cleaned. They quoted me at 211 dollars to clean the camera because it has to be disassembled. But the camera is a month old and I have done nothing extreme to cause the debris. However they said that the warranty does not cover this. Anyone have experience with this? They said the camera aren’t perfectly sealed so it can happen. Just confused as to what “normal use” qualifies as.

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

How did it affect taking pictures?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@BintuGomes wrote:

So I recently noticed my camera had some specs in the viewfinder so I sent it in to get cleaned. They quoted me at 211 dollars to clean the camera because it has to be disassembled. But the camera is a month old and I have done nothing extreme to cause the debris. However they said that the warranty does not cover this. Anyone have experience with this? They said the camera aren’t perfectly sealed so it can happen. Just confused as to what “normal use” qualifies as.

3 thngs you need to consider:

1.  The conditions you are shooting under

2. Camera model

3. Camera storage

LIke it or not your camera is a tool.  It lives inside, goes outside and can be subjected to a wide variiety of environmental conditions.  (which) thats up to you.   

The camera model you buy can to some extent offer better or less protectection from environmental factors.  

How do you store your camera when its not in use?  If not inside a case, it's going to get dusty, unless you live in a clean room or lab.

Canon didn't sell you a camera with dust in it.  If you take it on safari to Africa, the beach, near the ocean, or in a dusty windy environment it might get dirty, dust in it whatever.  A little planning can help to mitigate.  Don't change your lens in the middle of a dust storm (common sense stuff).  Some bodies as well as lenses are weather sealed.  Doesn't mean you're protected in all situations, but can provide a higher degree of protection in others.

Dust is just everywhere.  I have an old house and have never cleaned my air ducts.  I can only imagine what's floating around.  I have carpet too and we don't make people take off their shoes before coming into the house, so more dust.  I do however store all of my equipment in cases. 

Do your best to protect your equipent and keep it clean.  Sometimes dust happens.  If it doesn't affect your pictures, you'll have to decide if you want to live wth it or not.  But don't expect Canon to cover dust removal from something you are taking outside.  Your car car gets dirty too, bug splatters on the windshield when you drive it.  Its part of normal use.  I understand how you feel.  It's no one's fault. things can't stay new forever. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Just confused as to what “normal use” qualifies as."

You did not say what camera you have but I suspect a Rebel?  They are not water or dust proof. Either can and will get in.  If you find yourself shooting under these conditions often a more robust camera like the 5 series or the top of the line 1 series.

I know this going in, so I buy and use 1 series cameras.

BTW, most dust will not effect your photos unless it is on the sensor and then it isn't usually a big problem.  Certainly not a $200 dollar problem.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@BintuGomes wrote:

As a matter of fact, I was in that exact situation a few years ago. About a month after I bought one of my 7D's, I noticed gunk in the viewfinder. I took it to Canon's (now defunct) repair facility in Jamesburg NJ, and they cleaned it under warranty at no charge. I was/am a CPS member; I have no idea whether that affected the outcome.

They did ask me why I didn't just send it back to B&H for a replacement. I told them that it was less trouble to stop by Jamesburg and that I didn't want to have to re-calibrate my autofocus microadjustment settings.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements