cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone identify this Canon SLR Image error?

EIGHTFPS
Contributor

Good Day Canon enthusiasts,

Does anyone know what happened to this image? Specifically the 1/3 split in the image.

This is the only photo that did this out of the 100 photos taken that day.

Canon 1D Mark 3 + 85mm 1.2

Thanks in advance!

9 REPLIES 9

cicopo
Elite

I believe it's a shutter problem but have no further explination or advice on how to prevent it.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

hsbn
Whiz

Look like speed sync to me. Did you shoot it faster than flash speed sync without turn on HSS. Would be helpful if we can see the Exif data :).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

IT does look a bit like speed sync, but there's a misadjustment of the main image and that in the bar.  It's really noticable on that pole on the right, see how they don't line up.  Speed sync wouldn't do that.   Also, the top of the makeup artist shoulder, in the bar, is really bright for being outside of speed sync.  And finally, speed sync usually comes in from the bottom.

EIGHTFPS
Contributor

Thank you cicopo, hsbn, & skirball for your responses!

@ hsbn: The image was taken without flash. On-set it was lit with a handful of 1K Mole Richardsons. BTW great set of outdoor travel imagery.  I failed at HorseTail falls =(

@ Skirball: You're correct, it isn't speed sync, but I just can't think of what happened.  It really looked mis aligned on the image recorded on the sensor physically? or image recorded in a corrupt manner?

I didn't call Canon regarding this issue because it's too hard to discuss over the phone without seeing it visually. 

I know this is my first post here and I appreciate the quick responses!  Does anyone know if an on-site moderator that's from Canon that may respond to these issues?

Have a great Thursday everyone!

Last winter was not a great time at Horse Tail falls, but it was amazing to witness such a nature phenomenon with my own eyes. I think I will come back next year. Thank you.
Sometimes Canon staff comments here but not that often. But I'm afraid that it may not something you can fix easily like turning on or off some setting. Best of luck.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Mykolas
Authority

Hi EIGHTFPS!

Thank you for posting about this.  I would like to ask some questions to better help the community and I to understand what is happening here.

1. Does this occur when using multiple memory cards, or just one specifically?
  2. How often do you format your memory cards?
  3. What shutter speed was used in the provided image?
  4. Doe the issue go away or become less frequent with slower shutter speed settings?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Mike... I want to extend out a thank you for taking the time to help out with this issue.  I hope a lot of other canon users find this informational in the event it happens to them in the future.

to answer your questions:

1. Does this occur when using multiple memory cards, or just one specifically.

Very nice trouble shooting question, but I have bad news.  I already wiped the media cards for another project after backing up original photos.

2.   How often do you format your memory cards?

I format after every big project that almost fills up the media cards or if it's multiple smaller projects, I would just create multiple new folders on the same card.

3.  What shutter speed was used in the provided image?

1/160. 

4.  Does the issue go away or become less frequent with slower shutter speed settings?

That frame as #68 out of about 100 photographs on that set.  I think that was the 2nd time it happened. It doesn't happen frequent enough to test it at lower shutter speeds.  The past few days for another project I have put on about 20,000 shutter clicks tethered to a MPB & to my knowledge I have not seen that error.

Mike, thank you again!

EIGHTFPS,

Based on all of this, if you continue to experience what you see in the image you previously included, your camera will need to be serviced by our Factory Service Center. To start the repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website. Additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you Mike.  I'll bring it in to get it checked out either way. I appreciate all the help!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements