cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I combine filters

dsomers56
Contributor

Can i combine filters ; UV protective filter & CPL circular polarizer filter?

What filters should i have?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You can combine, but since a UV filter is technically redundant (there's one inside the camera already), there's little point in combining a front-threaded UV filter with anything else.

I have actually combined ND filters (stacks) and combined ND with CPL.   If you do this, you probably want to put the CPL on the front since you have to rotate it to tune the polarization.

You can also stack slide-in type filters such as gradient neutral densities and those commonly are stacked.

HOWEVER... be aware that each filter has a nice flat reflective surface and this can cause "ghosting" to show up in your images.  You always want to get multi-coated anti-reflective filters to reduce the ghosting problems.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

cicopo
Elite

You can but I doubt it's a good idea. Many filters soften your photos, and some lenses just don't seem to like having a filter at all so I'd recommend removing a protective filter if you have one before installing the CPL or any other filter.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank You

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Can i combine filters ; ..."

The only filters that combine well are ND.  Just use one at a time of any of the rest.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You can combine, but since a UV filter is technically redundant (there's one inside the camera already), there's little point in combining a front-threaded UV filter with anything else.

I have actually combined ND filters (stacks) and combined ND with CPL.   If you do this, you probably want to put the CPL on the front since you have to rotate it to tune the polarization.

You can also stack slide-in type filters such as gradient neutral densities and those commonly are stacked.

HOWEVER... be aware that each filter has a nice flat reflective surface and this can cause "ghosting" to show up in your images.  You always want to get multi-coated anti-reflective filters to reduce the ghosting problems.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you. i didn't realize you had to rotate the CPL filter to get a proper polarization.

Announcements