cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera setting question

UPinFocus
Contributor
I've been asked to take pictures for a "red carpet event". The event will have an area with a backdrop set up for pictures. I just got my camera yesterday....rebel T6. What would a good setting/mode to use? Also I am brand new to the DSLR cameras. Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Do you have an external flash? Do *not* use the built in flash, you will get mug shots, not portraits.

There are too many variables to answer. For you, just keep it on Green Square or Portrait.

UPinFocus
Contributor
Nope just a camera and the flash that came with it. I have the 55mm lens and the I believe its 300mm lense. Both came with the package.

" I have the 55mm lens and the I believe its 300mm lense. Both came with the package."

This gave me cause to suspect.  Did you happen to buy one of the 'kits' from an Amazon type store?  You got a bunch of stuff with it like filters, bag, add on lenses and other worthless items?  If, yes, return it today. You got mostly junk.  Buy the Rebel from a good know retailer like Best Buy, B&H, Adorama, Roberts and better perhaps a local camera store.

You can buy a kit specifically designed for your requirements.  These stores will have people you can ask questions about what you want to do.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Oooooof! Sounds like you've really got your work cut out for you there.

Do you have access to the event area so you can experiment a bit ahead of time? Do you know the specific lighting conditions you'll be shooting under? If you don't have a suitable flash hopefully the shooting area will be well lit. You may need to shoot at higher than normal ISO which takes an extra bit of skill as well. It may be difficult to get sharp, clear images if you're shooting hand-held.

If you're expected to get semi-professional or better quality images, you might want to pass the job along to someone else. If you just need some casual looking snapshot images, stick to the auto modes as mentioned above and be liberal with the amount of shots you take. Make sure you've got a spare battery and plenty of room on your memory card(s).

Spend as much as time as you can doing some random shooting just to get used to the layout and controls on your new camera. You don't want to have to learn all this stuff the night of a big Red Carpet event.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...you will get mug shots, not portraits."

I would avoid any flash if at all possible. However, you have very slow lenses and external light may be required. Without actually seeing the venue nobody here can tell you what setting or gear to use. But a basic bag would include a much faster preferably constant aperture lens.  The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is an great example. Off brand choice could be the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens.

The suggestion of checking the venue out before hand is good.  Do it if possible and take test shots.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...you will get mug shots, not portraits."

I would avoid any flash if at all possible. However, you have very slow lenses and external light may be required. Without actually seeing the venue nobody here can tell you what setting or gear to use. But a basic bag would include a much faster preferably constant aperture lens.  The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is an great example. Off brand choice could be the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens.

The suggestion of checking the venue out before hand is good.  Do it if possible and take test shots.

Will the event be televised? If so, you may be able to sponge off the TV lights to avoid, for example, having to fire a flash in a speaker's face. I've sometimes had the TV lights turned on, even when the event wasn't being televised, just to have better ambient light available. There are advantages to being the official event photographer. Don't be afraid to exploit them if the opportunity arises.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"...you may be able to sponge off the TV lights..."

Love it!  I am guilty. Smiley Very Happy

EB

I really doubt that an event that is having a person who just got his DSLR do the formal pictures is going to have TV lights, but you never know.

Around the turn of the century I did some portraits with my Canon A400 (3.2 MPixels!) and Selphy printer for instant halloween portraits. It actually turned out much better than I could have hoped. They main problem was that the printer was too slow.

For that matter, I suppose it could be an outdoor, daytime event. If the OP goes thru with this job I hope he updates us with some pics of the results.

Announcements