cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera, lens and strap.

kparseg
Contributor

Hello guys! Based on your experience, what's the heaviest lens you can mount on Canon 5diii and safely carry with the strap attached to the camera? I know lots of people do that with 70-200 f2.8 ii (~3 pounds) or 85 1.2ii (~2 pounds), but what about heavier lenses, such as 200 f2.0? Will it damage the mount if it's carried like that?

Thanks for your input!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

"I have Canon 200 2.0 and I'm wondering whether or not it's safe to hold the lens like that?"

First, he is using a D4 and I use Canon 1D "series" cameras. All of which are tough as nails. As tough as it gets in cameras.

I would bet if you could lift the lens/camera combo with just using the camera body, it is safe. These cameras are made of solid magnesium. They have no plastic.

On lesser cameras, if would not do it or even try it.

You are not going to want a 1D series and a Canon 200mm f2 around your neck for very long!  A Black Rapid is better but even it gets tiresome after a hour or so.

Bottom line, why risk it?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

The 200 f/2 will be safe to carry whichever way, imho.  However, when you hold it the way the Nikon guy was, it will be uncomfortable besides potentially stressing out the camera mount.

When I hold a camera with a heavy lens (my heaviest lens is the EF 400mm f/5.6L which is about 3 lbs), I always hold the hand with my left hands around the tripod ring and my right hand on the camera grip.  This way, it's most comfortable and relieve weight on the mount.  Most of the time, I carry the camera this way.  Occasionally I'd let the camera hang on the strap, which is mounted to the camera tripod hole.  This is infrequent so I don't bother mounting it on the lens tripod ring.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I almost never use the neck strap. The neck strap gets in the way more often than it is convenient.  I do use a Black Rapid which pretty much lets the lens hang down from the camera and I use it with my 70-200mm f2.8 L.

EB

Hi, thanks for your message. I was probably not very clear in my original message. I just had a strap as an example, it can be Black Rapid (as you suggested) . The question is if I carry a camera+lens while holding the camera (not the lens) with my hands, how heavy the lens can be to not damage the mount of the camera?

For example, on the video you can see a guy holding the camera with the attached Nikon 200 f2 (sorry!) with his hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0XOnz8xZN0

I have Canon 200 2.0 and I'm wondering whether or not it's safe to hold the lens like that? I personally think it's not very safe but I'm an amateur and I need to hear the opinion of more experienced photographers. Thank you!

Hi,

I don't have the EF 200/2 IS, but do have the larger 300/2.8 IS and 500/4 IS.

All these big lenses have attachment points for a second strap, right on the lens itself. I use those and have the straps adjusted to a length that matches the straps on my camera, so both are about equally supported when carried by the strap.

I still often carry those lenses by the handle, instead of the strap... Especially the 500mm. These lenses get awfully heavy on a strap and I've had neck and back problems from carrying straps. I use the strap as a safety backup, as much as for carrying the big white lenses.   When I put them on a tripod, I'll often wrap the strap around the top of the t'pod, for example. Or if using the lenses on a monopod, I'll keep the strap  hanging loosely around my neck. Etc.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

"I have Canon 200 2.0 and I'm wondering whether or not it's safe to hold the lens like that?"

First, he is using a D4 and I use Canon 1D "series" cameras. All of which are tough as nails. As tough as it gets in cameras.

I would bet if you could lift the lens/camera combo with just using the camera body, it is safe. These cameras are made of solid magnesium. They have no plastic.

On lesser cameras, if would not do it or even try it.

You are not going to want a 1D series and a Canon 200mm f2 around your neck for very long!  A Black Rapid is better but even it gets tiresome after a hour or so.

Bottom line, why risk it?

EB

The 200 f/2 will be safe to carry whichever way, imho.  However, when you hold it the way the Nikon guy was, it will be uncomfortable besides potentially stressing out the camera mount.

When I hold a camera with a heavy lens (my heaviest lens is the EF 400mm f/5.6L which is about 3 lbs), I always hold the hand with my left hands around the tripod ring and my right hand on the camera grip.  This way, it's most comfortable and relieve weight on the mount.  Most of the time, I carry the camera this way.  Occasionally I'd let the camera hang on the strap, which is mounted to the camera tripod hole.  This is infrequent so I don't bother mounting it on the lens tripod ring.

I've been shooting events for 6 summers wearing Canon bodies with either the 100-400 L IS, 35-350 L or 28-300 L IS (it's the heaviest of the 3) using the neck strap lugs without any issues. All of the straps I use also have plastic quick connects & again no failures. I recently bought a 300 f2.8 L IS & I won't be using the body to carry the lens. I'll use the lens to carry the body but still haven't settled on just how. I have bought & installed the Canon Wide Strap but it's too short for how I want to wear it. I may lengthen it but I may invent my own sling harness to use in a similar way the Black Rapid strap is used.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

diverhank
Authority

I guess there is no hard and fast rule regarding this.  I've seen the 300 f/2.8L mounted this way without damage but  I think it is prudent, for the lens camera combo you think is too heavy to hand carry all day is  to mount the strap where the tripod mount is.  The heavier lenses have tripod rings. 

It is better to mount from the ring anyways because that's where the center of gravity is, more balanced carry even if the mount is not damaged.  To do this you would need one of the carry straps with a tripod mount or fashion yourself something similar.

For super large telephotolens, people mount the lens on the tripod first, then mount the body onto the lens to avoid damage to the camera mount.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Heavy lenses come with their own straps.  

But that aside... I use a Black Rapid (sling-type strap) rather than the factory neck-strap.  It's much more comfortable.  But aslo, the strap attaches to the tripod mounting bolt hole.  For small / light lenses, you attach the strap to the camera body.  But heavy lenses have their own tripod mounting ring and in that case, you'd attach the strap to the lens instead of the body.  Basically... I attach the strap to whatever the heaviest thing is.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks a lot to all of you guys! I really appreciate your input.

Announcements