cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera for upcoming trip.

grdwyer
Contributor

I currently have a rebel xti. My wife and I are going to Alaska in July. I have rented some equipment to take with us on our trip. I have rented a Conon 5Dmark III, a Manfrotto tripod, a 500 mm supertelephoto lens. My question may be dumb, but here goes. I have never used the camera I am renting. Is this a smart move on my part? Is the 5D difficult to use? This is a trip of a lifetime for me. I do not want to struggle with a camera I have never used. Should I stick with the rental or just rent another XTI? Thanks for any and all answers and advice.

12 REPLIES 12

Crap, I do have a manfrotto tripod, and a gimbal head also. I also have a extender, 2x. Don't know if it will be necessary, but I have in nonetheless.

Anything else? I truly appreciate any advice. (Other than take up golfing 🙂 )

Take me!Smiley Very Happy

" (Other than take up golfing :smileyhappy: )"        Not likely as I would also need to find a divorce lawyer if I took up another bad habit besides photograaphy.

Have a good time,

EB

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@grdwyer wrote:

Crap, I do have a manfrotto tripod, and a gimbal head also. I also have a extender, 2x. Don't know if it will be necessary, but I have in nonetheless.

Anything else? I truly appreciate any advice. (Other than take up golfing 🙂 )

You're on the right track by sticking with the XTI.  Worst thing you could do is pick up a completely new camera on the day of the trip.  Though, I agree with eBigg's suggestion to get a T3i or T5i.  It's a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of the trip and 500mm lens rental.  You can get a refurbished T3i, from Canon, with warranty for pretty cheap.  Unfortunately the just had a sale on refurbished, but still, $400 isn't that bad:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras/eos-rebel-t3i-...

If it was me, I'd take an ultrawide lens (like the new 10-18 STM), a decent standard zoom, a telephoto (that 500 is going to be awesome), and a fast prime for night.  A fast wide angle would be great for the stars.  I'd make sure to have polarizers that fit all my lenses (use step-up rings); between the expansive sky, water, glaciers, potentially snow - you've got a lot of reflecting surfaces.  I'd also take a couple neutral density filters, but that's mostly a creative aspect.  And at least 1 flash, but I'm a strobaholic.

Good solid tripod, backpack to keep them in, Sherpa for the 500mm, etc.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements