cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera for upcoming trip.

grdwyer
Contributor

I currently have a rebel xti. My wife and I are going to Alaska in July. I have rented some equipment to take with us on our trip. I have rented a Conon 5Dmark III, a Manfrotto tripod, a 500 mm supertelephoto lens. My question may be dumb, but here goes. I have never used the camera I am renting. Is this a smart move on my part? Is the 5D difficult to use? This is a trip of a lifetime for me. I do not want to struggle with a camera I have never used. Should I stick with the rental or just rent another XTI? Thanks for any and all answers and advice.

12 REPLIES 12

hsbn
Whiz
Why don't you bring your rebel. 5dm3 is more complicated especially auto focus function. If you still want to rent it, rent it at least a week or two before your trip to play around.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have rented ..."

As in already?

Go out and use it!  Right now.  Use it a lot.  But remember it has the "P" for Professional and will do everything by it self if you want it to.  Sometimes the 5D can be smarter than the photographer.  Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I actually have a reservation for it to be delivered to Alaska on the day we arrive. 

The 5D III is a rather advanced camera.  It has much of the same controls you are used to using on your XTi, but adds a lot of control that you may not be familiar with.

The one area that really stands out is the focusing system.  It's very advanced... I can set a normal single point AF mode, a reduced AF point (spot AF), two variants on exapnded single point AF, zone AF, and auto select from the 61 point focusing system.  The camera has a thumb-sized "joystick" control and you can navigate the AF selection point or zone around the screen.  But in AI Servo mode, the auto-point selection can follow the action around based on Canon's intelligent tracking system (iTR) and the behavior of that mode is tuneable.

There's quite a bit to it.  

You really WILL want to read up on how to use the system and have time to practice with the camera before you go.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks to all who replied. I think my best solution is to stick with the XTI, I have used it frequently, and I am familiar with how to use the camera. While the 5dmark III, sounds like and I am sure is a much better camera, I would be more comfortable with using one that I am used to using. This is a trip of a lifettime for my wife and I, and I would hate to lose chances to get some really good pictures because of ignorance of the camera I would be using. 

Thanks again, George

"This is a trip of a lifettime for my wife ..."

George,

If that statement is true, I certainly would take backups.  I would take two of nearly everything.

Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong!  Smiley Very Happy

Imstead of renting the 5D how about buying a T3 or T3i or even a T5, T5i body?  Also take several memory cards and batteries.

What lenses do you have?  Is there some redundancy there?

In all likelyhood everything will operate as planned but you just never know.

EB

EB

I have a rebel XTI, and also are taking our daughters xti as well, we have four batteries, two standard lenses that the comes with the camera. Four memory cards. four batteries, two chargers. My laptop, my wifes laptop. Renting a supertelephoto 500mm, also have a 70-300. Anything else you think we should take?

Thanks

George

And yes, this is a trip of a lifetime. We have saved for three years for this trip. Would have liked to stay longer. There is always second thoughts when taking a trip like this, I'm sure. But right now, it is what it is, and we will go and have a great trip and enjoy it to the fullest. And take only pictures and leave only footprints.

It sounds like you have done a good job of planning your "trip of a lifetime".

Maybe a tripod?  A 500mm lens on a XTi is going to act like a 800mm equivalent lens.  Pretty serious stuff there!

All the best and have a great trip,

EB

EB
Announcements