cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Theft

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

As cameras become more expensive they also become targets for thieves, and some of those can be quite violent.  The following video came to my notice via the Northrop You Tube site.  Camera theft, like many other possessions, is not new, but the potential for violence seems to be on the rise.

The video does bring up a good point: how manufacturers could assist to make them less tempting targets in the way that cell phone makers have introduced screen locks and tracking technology - and now that more cameras (especially the more expensive ones) can interface directly with the web, it seems logical to try to engage some of those protections for cameras too.

The first step is situtational awareness: to recognize the issue, then be careful of where and how one uses one's gear in public.  Most thieves will not bother the harder it gets to grab a camera, but some plan carefully and are not afraid to turn to violence with weapons.  In that case the best advice is it's not worth your life - dying to save a camera defeats the purpose...

Over the years I have experienced very little theft issues, in part because I anticipate the risk.  Still when visiting less secure places on the planet it goes with the territory.  I try to have a set of stuff that might be worth stealing that is NOT my main gear - they may be older units or non-functioning ones, and I do the same for my wallet - I have a similar one with dummy credit cards and only a few units of currency.  That offers some reward to the perpetrators who will then hopefully go off and let you make your mistake intact.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
3 REPLIES 3

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I was reading about registering your camera plus recording all pertinent data as serial number, model, lenses, etc. I have taken photos of some high dollar items and recorded info for the insurance agent.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

I live just south of SF.  I've been to that location 100 times.  Usually just to hike.  Crazy that they followed him home.  

Same thing is hapening with high end bicycles now.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

I live just south of SF.  I've been to that location 100 times.  Usually just to hike.  Crazy that they followed him home.  

Same thing is hapening with high end bicycles now.  

Well... he was using a glaringly expensive camera and he was also driving a Tesla - both of which suggest rich pickings.  Apparently the perpetrator had form in using this method previously (he was out on bail for a previous occurance?), so had obviously had some experience in this.

Still, we live in dangerous times.   Frankly I am glad I live in a country that is not awash in weapons, and even more seems to have a much lesser occurrence of armed violence - although, I must admit that it is increasing from its perviously extremely low level.  Our police still do not go carrying arms as a normal occurrence, which is something I rather like.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements