cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Definitions

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

This is a tongue in cheek thread to which I hope others will contribute with regards to the general photographic context.

I shall start this off with an excellent comment I read on the DP Review site in response to an article posted for the absolute neophite.  

The question was "What's an interchangeable lens camera?"

The answer: "It's an expensive camera that you sell on eBay a year later to fund the next expensive camera. This is why they're called interchangeable."  credit PictureAngst

---------------------------------------------------------------------

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Hey I think that was/is me!  Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I'll contribute my favorite quip:

Better equipment won't make a bad photographer good, but it can make a good photographer better. The better one already is, the more difference better equipment makes.

(No, I don't subscribe to the oft-advanced assertion that a really good photographer can do just as well with a low-end Rebel as with a 1DX Mark II. Make of that what you will.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

I'll contribute my favorite quip:

Better equipment won't make a bad photographer good, but it can make a good photographer better. The better one already is, the more difference better equipment makes.

(No, I don't subscribe to the oft-advanced assertion that a really good photographer can do just as well with a low-end Rebel as with a 1DX Mark II. Make of that what you will.)

As has been mentioned in other posts I think the outcome is a function of the user skill, preparation, gear and good timing.

I must admit to a pechant for using older DSLRs to test my abilities to get a decent result.  That said, according to my gear list I am not above buying the best and latest tech I can afford! Smiley Wink

Still, I hold back a bit from buying gear as it comes out - I give it a few months to a year to let the dust and prices settle, and possibly for a firmware update.

I actually bought a Canon EOS 300 the other day - I may just dabble in the odd film experience - but most likely in B&W.  It is interesting to see that Ilford are releasing three new films today US time...

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Does anyone want to take a stab at, "What's a point-and-shoot?"

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

To respond to Bob's Point and Shoot post

I would say a camera that held prominence for social photography from the Kodak until the cell phone took over... or, given how cell phones are used, any other kind of assault weapon!  I have already expressed my frustrations at people getting in the way to get close and personal with the cell phone.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements