cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better way to connect nylon camera strap?

grayghost283
Apprentice

I'm concerned about the connection to the slender metal slots on the side of my 7D.  Is there a more sure method -- the 7D is heavy and I recently had a strap separate at the juncture.

6 REPLIES 6

cicopo
Elite

I use 3rd party straps with quick connects for either a dual harness or regular neck strap BUT they are made of similar materials & I've never had a problem & I use heavy bodies & lenses. So far I haven't even seen any wear on any strap I've used in the area where it slips through the slot. I can also say that in 40 years of shooting Canon I've never had a strap slip at the little plastic part that it passes through on the way to the body & then again when comming back from the body. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I agree with you on the 3d party equipment.  After I posted this item I dedicated a solid hour on Google/canon/amazon and others and think I found an alternative.  A company called Op/Tech (USA company even) makes what looks like will work well.  They have gadgets called "adapt-its" that fit in the slots on the camera in which you can connect quick-release hooks that are connected to a hefty nylon strap.  I'll let you know how they work when they arrive.  Thanks for your interest.

by the way,  the strap that I had separate did not come apart at the slot but at a sewn connection back up the strap.

In actual fact I'm using Op Tech straps but bought through another forum I belong to that gets a tiny cut & has their name added to the neck strap. I however use the 3/8 " webbed straps set a bit longer than many would like. I also have the Op Tech Dual Harness which I like (for the price) but there may be better ones I don't know of. My favorite neck strap is a Crumpler Industry Disgrace which is a tiny bit more comfortable than the Op Tech SO I modified it to use the same quick connects. That saves a bit of time when I switch to the dual harness. 

http://www.procameragear.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/59

I worried about the quick connects not staying locked but a lot of research soothed my mind & to date no issues.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks for the input.  I rcvd the Op/Tech strap and the "adapt its" connectors.  I don't think any of this will ever be breaking.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I don't use the factory strap -- partially for this reason, but mostly because of comfort.

Check out either (or both) the Black Rapid straps and the Carry Speed straps.    They make several models.  I use a BlackRapid RS-7 strap.  

These straps attach to the tripod mounting bolt socket on the bottom of the camera (or to the bolt socket on a lens mounting collar if you've got a heavy lens attached.)  The mount bolt slides on the nylon strap and you wear the streap over the shoulder opposite where you rest the camera.  This means the camera rests quite comfortably upside down when you're not using it.  When you grab the camera to lift it to your eye for shooting, the bolt connector slides up the strap.  It includes some limiters which allow you to restrict how far it can slide.

These things are MUCH more comfortable if you're going to be wearing a camera all day.

The traditional strap was designed in a time when a cameras didn't have long lenses.  Today's camera lenses make the camera point downward and that puts a pinch on the strap connection as well as makes the camera not very comfortable to wear.

The Carry Speed brand strap has an optional attachment plate which also includes an Arca-Swiss style dovetail plate so the camera can still be mounted to a tripod head (as long as the head has the standard Arca-Swiss style 1" wide dovetail saddle.) without needing to remove the strape or plate (although disconnecting the strap is a simple operation and you can leave the dovetail plate attached.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks -- I will take a look at them.

Announcements