cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best ways to get rid of dust/greasy spots from front element

kparseg
Contributor

Hello guys! Could you please share your experience with taking care of the front element of your L lenses? What's the best way to remove dust sports, fingerprints etc. without scratching the front element or damaging any kind of the coating? 

So far, I've found people recommending Lenspen and soft microfiber for regular glasses. What'd you recommend? 

Thanks in advance and happy holidays to all of you!

Karren

4 REPLIES 4

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Dust will usually blow off.  A very soft brush (lens pens have a brush built into the opposite end as the cleaner) will also do it.

I have a soft microfiber cleaning cloth that I keep with me.  I actually have LOTS of these -- so I throw them away when I no longer trust that they're clean enough to use on my lenses.

Sometimes just a tiny bit of moisture helps... fog the lens by breathing on it just before wiping it.

If it actually has "grease" then water alone may just smear it around instead of cleaning it.  You can make a solution of about 1 pint of water and add about 1 drop (no kidding) of ordinary gentle hand dishwashing soap (dishwashing liquidfor automatic dishwashers is more harsh).  I wouldn't use glass cleaners because you don't know what's in them and unlike regular window glass, your lens has coatings and you don't want to damage the coatings.  Hence very mild soapy water (again... not much soap or it will leave a residue) will probably do the trick.

The glass on your lens isn't that fragile... so as long as you are using a "clean" cloth and you aren't dragging sand and debris around the surface of the glass, you aren't going to scratch it.  But this is why I look at my glass to make sure there's nothing but smudges left and that I'm using a clean cloth.

Resist the temptation to clean too often.  Dirt on your lens will NOT show up in a photo -- the camera is not able to focus on anything that close.  It's not the same as dirt on the sensor (which leaves a shadow of itself on the image.)  The biggest "problem" with dirt/dust on the lens is that it is more likely to result in a type of flare in the image if light shines on it -- and a lens hood is good for avoiding that problem (it's also good for avoiding excess dirt from landing on your lens in the first place.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

According to Nikon, you shouldn't use your breath to clean to lens because it may damage your lens.
"Do not breathe on the lens to fog it for cleaning. There are harmful acids in breath that can damage lens coatings. Just use the blower bulb, then brush, and wipe the lens in a circular spiral from the center outward."
But hey, I did it all the time. But just to let you know.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

amfoto1
Authority

Hi Karen,

Get yourself a bulb blower, some quality lens cleaning fluid, microfiber cloths and a Lens Pen. 

First thing to do is get as much dust off as possible with the bulb blower. It also might help to use a very soft, anti-static brush (note: if there are oils on the lens, the brush will become contaminated and will need to be cleaned or it will just spread the oils around).  Alternatively, a low-powered vacuum might be useful, too, just be careful to avoid too strong or too direct suction. I often just have the vacuum running nearby, to draw away fine particles as they are dislodged with a bulb blower or brush.

The whole point is to remove as much of the dust grit as possible. Some dust can be hard particles that might scratch. But dust specks can become adhered to the surface, too. So you may need to gently use a dry microfiber cloth too. The cloth will become contaminated with particles, and if there is any oil that will contaminate it too. So either replace or clean the cloth fairly often.

Once you have particles off as best possible, to remove fingerprints and other oils use a clean microfiber cloth slightly moistened with a quality lens cleaning fluid (I've used Zeiss and other fluids, shop around).  Dry with another section of the microfiber cloth, or a different cloth. EDIT: Yes, you can fog the surface a little with your breath instead of using lens cleaning fluids. I do that all the time when I'm in a hurry, I have to admit. However, it really isn't a good idea. You can end up breathing things onto the surface you really don't want there!

The only time to use a Lens Pen is after all the above is done. It's used to remove light haze that's often left behind by cleaning fluids and to give the lens a final polishing. Do this gently and only after any and all grit has been removed, to avoid risking any scratches. A lens that's been given this final polishing with a Lens Pen will be much more resistant to new dust settling and adhering to the surface.

Other things that can be helpful include optical cleaning swabs such as Pec Pads. A Speck Grabber is a precise tool that can be used to remove individual particles.

I will not use common tissues, whether they are designated for lens cleaning or not. Most papers are made with wood pulp, and wood has minerals in it, which can be hard enough to cause micro-scratches in glass or optical coatings. Modern lenses have hardened coatings to make them more resistant, but look at older lenses with plain glass or softer coatings and you'll often find "cleaning marks".... very fine scratches in the glass or coatings, likely from using paper and/or not getting dust specks off first.

I also don't recommend using Q-Tips or other common "cotton buds".... those shed fine threads that can get stuck in places you don't want them. Now, it's more risky using those inside a camera, than on a lens. But stil there are better things to use.

There are swabs especially made for cleaing optics and cmaeras, and the Pec Pads mentioned above, for example. There are made from rags, not from wood pulp

A lot of the same things can be used for sensor cleaning, by the way.

Prevention is the best course... Use a lens hood and be careful handling your lenses to prevent getting fingerprints on the optics. Cap your lenses when not in use. Vacuum out your camera bag occasionally. Use common sense precautions when switching lenses. Though I personally don't like to use them all the time, a "protection" filter might be wise to use in some situations, such as in very dusty conditions or near the ocean, to prevent salt spray settling onto the lens (it's sort of "greasy" when it dries... can leave salt residue too).

And, you might be surprised how little some dust on a lens effects your images. Don't be obsessive about cleaning them. The most likely thing dust or oils might do is increase flare effects. A lens hood that reduces oblique light striking the lens can help a lot with that.

EDIT: Yikes! Smiley Surprised It's almost scary how similar Tim and I answered your question, each coming up with almost the same thing independently.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Tim and Alan,

Thanks a lot for your extensive responses, guys. You're awsome! Smiley Happy

K.

Announcements