cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery replacement

jmarshellk
Apprentice

Hi!

I am new user of Canon Ixus 510 Hs.. Everything is going fine, except the battery. I think it store not much energy (870maH), so it get low so fast.

I am planning to buy a new one. My question is, it is safe if I buy a non original battery, which store more energy (1000maH)? Is it going to affect the camera?

Thanks!

Marshell

2 REPLIES 2

Skirball
Authority

For the most part, yes, it's safe.  However, it's not always the best value.  I would only buy from a big distributer (like Amazon) and have a good look at the online reviews, especially for reviews that were made several months after the purchase (as opposed to directly after).  A lot of the cheap generic batteries don't last very long - both in their initial charge, and the amount of charges they can handle in a lifetime.

I've bought several generics for past cameras and had mixed luck.  Some worked great, others die out quickly, most were somewhere in between. 

My take is: they work find for point and shoots (if you get decent generics), but I don't care for them for my SLRs.  They work ok for a little shooting here or there, but if I'm going to use it professionally for several hours it's just not worth the hassle of dragging along extra batteries that I don't trust.  Some feel the same way about using them for travel, others find it doesn't bother them and saves them some money.

thanks a lot for your comment..

I will reconsider before I buy the battery..

Announcements