cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Left Charging For 2 Months Straight...Still Safe To Use ?

Henrryparth
Apprentice

Like the title says, an LP-e6n battery I thought was lost was actually left charging in a wall at a location for almost 2 months to the date. This was one of the amazon brand ones (it always did a good job though), in the default canon charger. When I found it, the light was still green, but I wanted to get some opinions on if its all still safe to use. May seem like a silly question, but I don't want it leaking in my camera or something.  [link removed per forum guidelines]

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...the light was still green, but I wanted to get some opinions on if its all still safe to use."

IMHO, third party batteries are never 'safe' to use.  But some do work. Some are destructive. It is always best and safest to stick with Canon brand.  I know the first thing that comes to mind is Canon batteries cost is twice as much.  However, Canon batteries tend to last twice as long so is it really worth it?  Plus you get the piece of mind and that is free!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Sounds to me like you are lucky that it did not catch fire!
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

diverhank
Authority

Most decent chargers - Canon certainly should be one- automatically switch to trickle charging when the battery is full.  I'd say no harm no foul. 

I routinely leave my batteries on the charger until I need it, sometimes more than a week. I never observe any difference in battery behavior.  Granted this was Canon charger/Canon batteries -  no way of knowing how an offbrand battery would behave.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

Most decent chargers - Canon certainly should be one- automatically switch to trickle charging when the battery is full.  I'd say no harm no foul. 

I routinely leave my batteries on the charger until I need it, sometimes more than a week. I never observe any difference in battery behavior.  Granted this was Canon charger/Canon batteries -  no way of knowing how an offbrand battery would behave.

I agree with Hank. If the battery shows no signs of leakage or swelling, I see no reason why it shouldn't be OK. Even if it isn't, I think its most likely behavior would be failure to hold a charge. Damage to the camera is unlikely.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

There are horror stories on the web, yes, assuming the stories are true.  I know there are those that have had no problems.  For some of us, third party batteries will always be a no no. Keep in mind if you still have warranty Canon won't fix damage done by off brand batteries.  You might want to be out of warranty first.

EB

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

The battery charge current drops to "trickle" level in any decent, non-defective charger so no harm was done.  Many batteries are constantly on a float charge like emergency lighting, alarm backup systems, etc.  The battery in my Corvette Z06 stays on float charge all winter which is the way to avoid damage to the battery.

I prefer using "real" Canon batteries because some of the after-market units are junk while others are probably OK; with Canon sourced batteries I don't have to worry.  I bought a pair of batteries from Amazon for my 1D Mark II several years ago because I was in a rush to get batteries before a trip and they hold a charge well and basicially work OK except sometimes when shooting at a high frame rate the camera would lock up.  When I got back I bought Canon replacements and the problem went away.  I gave the Amazon batteries to a friend who is more concerned about cheap than performance.

Canon batteries are pricey and they could sell them for less but the "Canon Tax" is worth it to me for the reliability.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

It "is worth it to me for the reliability."

That is my take also. Folks that don't have their jobs on the line can get by using second rate stuff but some of us can not.

EB
Announcements