cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Charger cg580 stays orange..no green light..even when battery fully charged

msfraz
Apprentice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The good news is your battery charger is not defective.

The CG-580 charge ONLY has a red light.  It will never go green because there is no green light in it.

The CG-580 indicates charge level based on the number of blinks per second.

One blink per second = 50% or lower capacity

Two blinks per second = 50-75% capacity

Three blinks per second = 75-90% capacity

Solid (no longer blinking) means the battery is within 90% of full.

When the light finally goes solid, the battery is not technically full... Canon suggests that if you leave it on the charger for 1 more hour after you see it go solid then the charger will top-off the battery.

Your camera owner's manual will have a section on charging the battery (and it's usually right near the beginning of the manual because it's one of the first things they want you to do when you get a new camera.)  It should describe this for you.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The good news is your battery charger is not defective.

The CG-580 charge ONLY has a red light.  It will never go green because there is no green light in it.

The CG-580 indicates charge level based on the number of blinks per second.

One blink per second = 50% or lower capacity

Two blinks per second = 50-75% capacity

Three blinks per second = 75-90% capacity

Solid (no longer blinking) means the battery is within 90% of full.

When the light finally goes solid, the battery is not technically full... Canon suggests that if you leave it on the charger for 1 more hour after you see it go solid then the charger will top-off the battery.

Your camera owner's manual will have a section on charging the battery (and it's usually right near the beginning of the manual because it's one of the first things they want you to do when you get a new camera.)  It should describe this for you.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

msfraz
Apprentice

Understood.  I had another charger which did turn green so I made the mistaken assumption that all chargers did.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Announcements