cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad LP-E4 Battery?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I recently bought a used 1Ds Mark III, mainly because I wanted a new battery for my 1D Mark IV.  The battery in the 1D Mark IV had begun to give me "calibrate" messages.  A battery calibration would [not] clear the message.

C2AE3FA0-0CAF-4E51-ABB3-13A1B20ACB0F.jpeg

The battery that came with the 1Ds Mark III is on top.  It is different from the "bad" battery that I received with the 1D Mark IV.  Also, there three symbols that are totally illegible to me stamped in the grey box on the "bad" battery.  I think they are related to how not to dispose of the battery.

But, why are these batteries so diffferent?  Is one from a USA camera and one from a grey market camera?  I had bought both cameras used from reputable dealers.  The "bad" battery is actually a replacement they shipped to me because the original battery that shipped with the camera would fail to charge.

I really don't think the "bad" battery is counterfeit, but it is a possibility until this mystery is solved.  Thanks, guys.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So, after the time consuming process with using each charger, in turn, to calibrate my batteries.  I just may have a bad/weak charger.  I guess it was a good thing that I bought the entire battery and charger combo.  But, that was the plan, anyway.

I did it twice with each charger to make sure the suspect battery was good, and were consistent each time..  But, I will probably run the batteries down through normal use and do the tests again.  But, this time my eye will be on the chargers, not the batteries.

Thanks, for listening.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I suspect the label change is something that happened over the production life of this battery.  My 1DX "no stripe" LPE-4N and later 1DX II and III LPE-19 batteries have labels that are similar to your "bad" battery (the LPE-4N used a  gold label to differentiate it) while the NP-E3 battery packs for my much earlier 1D Mark II have lables more in the style of your "replacement" battery.

Doesn't the 1D Mark IV accept the LPE-19 battery also?  I know the older charger doesn't charge to the same capacity but the newer battery is usable with the older charger.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

Doesn't the 1D Mark IV accept the LPE-19 battery also?  I know the older charger doesn't charge to the same capacity but the newer battery is usable with the older charger.

Rodger

That was my next question.  I know the LPE-19 battery should fit mechanically.  I did not know if the older chargers can properly charge it.  

For less than the cost of a new LPE-19, charger, and AC Adapter, I picked up a 1Ds Mark III with all of the above accessories. It looks like I may need to still replace the failing LP-E4.  It keeps reporting that it needs a calibration.   

B&H still sells the LP-E4N, so I may pick up one of those.  

BTW, the 1D Mark IV works just great with the WebCam Utility Beta.  I was totally surprised by that because it uses EOS Utility 2, instead of EOS Utility 3 like all of the supported bodies do.  It works great with my Rokinon 14mm T3.1 Cinema Lens, which has a very short hyperfocal distance, about 3-4 feet.

So, after the time consuming process with using each charger, in turn, to calibrate my batteries.  I just may have a bad/weak charger.  I guess it was a good thing that I bought the entire battery and charger combo.  But, that was the plan, anyway.

I did it twice with each charger to make sure the suspect battery was good, and were consistent each time..  But, I will probably run the batteries down through normal use and do the tests again.  But, this time my eye will be on the chargers, not the batteries.

Thanks, for listening.

Announcements