cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assassination of Cecil the lion

As a citizen of the US, I'm embarrassed and infuriated that Cecil, the famous lion on the game preserve in Africa, was killed by that demented dentist from Minnesota. Frankly, I've never understood how anyone can get pleasure from killing an animal; I don't even like having to trap the mice that invade my home. But this case was particularly egregious, as Cecil was apparently lured over the boundary of the game preserve in an attempt to portray the killing as legal. There's an effort underway to boycott the dentist's business, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I hope he dies penniless.

I'm totally in fovor of shooting lions. But the proper tool for the job is a CAMERA, not a gun or (as in this case) a bow and arrow.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
11 REPLIES 11

BigJake93
Contributor

personaly i am a hunter and i mainly do it for food. But i agree this guy is a discrace to all hunters. I belive this man should be punished for this and not just by a fine but with jail time, This is a discrace to us as a country and all the human race.

wingman
Apprentice

Sometimes it can be embarassing to be a citizen of a certain country, an employee of an organization, member of a community, etc. This time it's embarassing to be human. This past Monday, 5 elephants in Kenya were poached for their tusks. 

You people are nuts.  I hope you all are vegans.  And I hope you show the same disdane for the Planned Parenthood's despicable depraved indifference to human life.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I think most of us understand the difference between senseless killing and harvesting for food.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I consider myself a sensible hunter.  I despise poaching and law breakers.  They need to receive the punishments the law sets forth.  There would be nothing left, in time, if they were allowed to thrive.

However, the absolute ridiculous reaction to this incident is unbelievable.  It is mostly hypocritical.  Bob from Boston has no problem with killing as long as he doesn’t have to do it.  Somebody else does it for him out of sight and mind.  Sadly he is not unique.  The world is full of folks just like that.  Meat comes from the super market in a nice plastic wrapper or from Burger King.

There's an effort underway to boycott the dentist's business, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I hope he dies penniless."

Comments like this?  Really?  I don’t know the details of what happened. Possibly the doctor had no idea this was a protected animal.  Maybe he did and didn’t care but we have laws and procedure. They need to be observed.

BTW, do you realize how many zebras and antelope and gazelles, etc., are very happy right now? 

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I consider myself a sensible hunter.  I despise poaching and law breakers.  They need to receive the punishments the law sets forth.  There would be nothing left, in time, if they were allowed to thrive.

However, the absolute ridiculous reaction to this incident is unbelievable.  It is mostly hypocritical.  Bob from Boston has no problem with killing as long as he doesn’t have to do it.  Somebody else does it for him out of sight and mind.  Sadly he is not unique.  The world is full of folks just like that.  Meat comes from the super market in a nice plastic wrapper or from Burger King.

There's an effort underway to boycott the dentist's business, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I hope he dies penniless."

Comments like this?  Really?  I don’t know the details of what happened. Possibly the doctor had no idea this was a protected animal.  Maybe he did and didn’t care but we have laws and procedure. They need to be observed.

BTW, do you realize how many zebras and antelope and gazelles, etc., are very happy right now? 

As John pointed out, most of us understand the difference between trophy hunting and killing for food. Lions eat what they kill, and anything they leave goes to scavenging animals.

And you're right; if I had to kill my own meat, I might be a vegetarian. But I'm not a hypocrite, since I don't berate others for hunting for food.

Those of us on the East Coast tend to forget how long it takes for information from the other side of the Atlantic to propagate to an outpost like Kansas City. As I guess you haven't heard, the dentist and his two local enablers had tied a dead animal to the hood of their jeep, in order to lure Cecil out of the game preserve. So the notion that he didn't know that Cecil was a protected animal is ludicrous.

Bob

Bob from Boston said,

"But I'm not a hypocrite,..."

Yes you are.  You speak the speak but you don't walk the walk.  Killing is killing. Whether you go to McDonald's and pay money from someone else to do it or I do it,  It is killing.  The fact you put it in your belly and he puts it on the wall is immaterial from the animal's point of view.

"... the dentist and his two local enablers had tied a dead animal to the hood of their jeep, in order to lure Cecil out of the game preserve. So the notion that he didn't know that Cecil was a protected animal is ludicrous."

Then they need to be prosecuted.  Not persecuted.  Even out here in the netherland, getting our info by pony express, we know one from the other.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston said,

"But I'm not a hypocrite,..."

Yes you are.  You speak the speak but you don't walk the walk.  Killing is killing. Whether you go to McDonald's and pay money from someone else to do it or I do it,  It is killing.  The fact you put it in your belly and he puts it on the wall is immaterial from the animal's point of view.

That's ridiculous. Do I have to work in a slaughterhouse in order to be allowed to eat meat? Using the same logic, I could say that you have no right to turn on the lights in your house unless you're willing to be a coal miner.

"... the dentist and his two local enablers had tied a dead animal to the hood of their jeep, in order to lure Cecil out of the game preserve. So the notion that he didn't know that Cecil was a protected animal is ludicrous."

Then they need to be prosecuted.  Not persecuted.  Even out here in the netherland, getting our info by pony express, we know one from the other.

Indeed they should be prosecuted. It seems we have an extradition treaty with Zimbabwe, so The Authorities should convey the dentist thither forthwith. His two abettors are already up on charges, and it's been reported that if convicted, they face 10 years in a rather unpleasant prison. But "prosecuted" doesn't rule out "persecuted", if the latter is your term for encouraging the dentist's customers to henceforth entrust their teeth to a different practitioner.

Bob

Bob from Boston said,

"That's ridiculous. Do I have to work in a slaughterhouse in order to be allowed to eat meat?"

Absolutely not.

But you do need to realize you are the root cause for that slaughter house.  You pay for it and as long as you don't have to bloody your hands, it is OK.  That, my friend, is a hypocrite.  Look at me I decry this but I sure enjoy it.

I don't condem coal miners either as it is a nobel profession.  I want electricity and that is how we get it.  You want meat and guess what, killing is how we get it.

As to the rest of your "reasoning", you are one of those fellows that is ready to convict before you know all the facts?  How nice. Maybe all the facts, and I don't mean the liberal media's version, hasn't reached us here in Kansas.  Pony Express being so slow.  BTW, I don't live in Kansas City.  I live in a rural farm and ranch land area south of KC.

BTW, it is legal to use bait in some kinds of hunting even here in the US.  Fisherman do it all the time. Whether it is or not over there I don't know.  Until I do I am not going to convict this man. In the US, even if you are hunting next to a game preserve and a deer (for instance) strays over in to legal ground, it is legal to take it.  That's the law.

This certainly has struck a sour chord in you hasn't it?  I certainly hope that really important subjects do the same.

EB
Announcements